Wednesday, December 19, 2007

VARIATION ON A THEME




These two paintings consist of the same colors. I was down to the last colors and there were 4 so I decided to put all 4 together. When I opened them up, I thought these were going to make a very ugly combination but I was surprised. I really like this combination of Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Quin Magenta and Permanent Red. I played around with texture for the background. The first image has no additional pen work or white paint but the second image does. I am not too pleased with the addition of the white paint. It looks too milky. I like the addition of texture. This is something I will definitely do on a larger piece. Hopefully this weekend, I will be able to start a full size painting.

4 comments:

Nava said...

WOW!!!!!!

Both very unique, but - - - the first one is absolutely stunning! You definitely have gone beyond the obvious with it.

Seems like you are having tons of fun working in a series on this dreadlocks dude - it shows!

RH Carpenter said...

You are so dedicated to work in a series like this, doing the same subject over and over - it would be a real chore for me to do this many (my limit is about 5). Now, I can't choose between these 2 because I like them both and I like the white addition in the 2nd (it doesn't look milky on the screen). But the texture in the
1st one adds a lot, too. Can't choose! ha-ha But I know I'm going to enjoy seeing a full size painting of this guy!

Anonymous said...

Nava I agree that first one is absolutely stunning, It touched something inside me. WOW Myrna

Anonymous said...

I went back to take another look at the first one, and I realize it is the openess of expression on the first painting,along with the red you have used that draws me in. He looks very vunerable.
This one is different. His eyes are hooded on all the others.

Related Posts with Thumbnails