Sunday, December 16, 2007

2 NEW DECEMBER CHALLENGE PAINTINGS




Finally, some color combinations that produce beautiful mixes!!!! The first painting has Thalo Blue, New Gamboge and Yellow Ochre. I'm pretty sure Kathy Mitchell had a similar combination with 2 yellows and Thalo. I think this is a beautiful combination. I am sticking with 5 x 7 bozzettos for this December project because I can do them quickly and find many new combinations of colors. I am also sticking with Tyvek for the paper. I am going to be working with this image for a while, as well, because it is the image I have chosen for the workshop I am developing. This is a young man I saw in France this summer with dreadlocks, mustache and full beard. Very handsome and looks a little like a religious figure with a bad hair day.

The second painting has my favorite mix of colors so far: Indian Red (this color is so rich in the Hydrus line) Veridian (a color I am learning to love after pulling it three times so far!) and Hansa Deep (which is yellow orange in hue) The Indian and Veridian create a gorgeous dark brown and mixing the Hansa and Indian into the Veridian creates a wide range of natural greens. I would do a full size painting with this combination.

The colors look a little washed out to me on the blog but if you click on the image and view in another screen, the color is as true as I was able to get to the actual painting. It is never perfect, but I get close.

I drew the image on both paintings with the Elegant Writer pen. That counts as my black. I was really pleased how fast I am able to draw and paint these images because I can do at least one every day, no matter what. I was working on my commission at the same time. When one needed to dry, I worked on the other. This is a very good way for watercolorists to work. If you have something else to work on, there is less temptation to touch the painting before it is dry.

3 comments:

Nava said...

Those are quite glorious!! And you are very right about having more than one painting to work on at a time.

RH Carpenter said...

Maybe I'm doing the 3-color drawing differently than others: once I use 3 colors, those 3 colors don't go back in the pile to be used again but are out - if I keep going, I will only have a few colors to draw from. I agree about working on 2 or more things at once to keep those brushes off the painting that needs to "rest."

Sandy Maudlin said...

Hi again, Myrna,
You'd tagged me last week and I did tag five others. Wanted to poat my 'little known' facts and say thanks for the tag. It was fun.

Myrna Wacknovrecently '''tagged''' me to play an internet tag game. I must tell 5 obscure things about myself, then tag five other people. #1. Besides giraffes, I love otters, too - because they are so playful, spending their time either playing, eating, or sleeping...a good life. #2. My husband and I went to the same kindergarten, but didn't meet until Mr. Fox's high school geometry class when we were 15. In June '08, we will celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. #3. Once upon a time, I was in a unique group that called themselves the 'OTTERS.' #4. My dad always called me 'Bugs.' I miss him. #5. I cannot remember ever believing in Santa Claus. The chimney thing never made sense to me. When I was about 5, the Santa whose lap I sat on at Mal's Sporting Goods Store had the same watch and glasses and shoes as my dad had. Seemed a little 'fishy' to me.

As per Myrna's instructions, I'm tagging some of the people who have responded to this blog. They are
Cecelia in Texas at http://cecelia-throughmyeyes.blogspot.com/
Michelle Himes in New Jersey at http://mhwatercolornotes.blogspot.com/
Suzanne McDermott in Nashville, TN at http://suzannesketches.blogspot.com/
Art Lover in Vancover BC, Canada at http://artloverscorner.blogspot.com/
Diane Kasparek from Washington State at http://www.orcasislandstudio.com/

Related Posts with Thumbnails