Tuesday, December 4, 2007

DECEMBER CHALLENGE PAINTING #3



This is my second attempt at this image today. The colors of Cadmium Red, Burnt Sienna and Venetian Brown are so close in hue and value that my first attempt was indistinct. I decided a different approach was necessary. I drew the image with a permanent ink pen and then built up the color a little at a time. I used black with these colors to get a good dark value and a cool tone. I didn't let the color puddle so much on this painting. I am pretty satisfied with the result given the colors I had to work with. I had never used the Venetian brown before. I usually mix my browns. Turns out Venetian Brown is more pink than Burnt Sienna. When you look at the bottles, the color looks almost identical.

I am finding it is impossible to get the color exactly right in the photo even with a lot of adjusting on my part. This painting is actually a little warmer and the red is brighter. I could probably get it closer in photoshop but I don't think it is worth the extra step. GOOD NEWS! The problem is fixed so you can now view the image by clicking on it and it will appear in another screen rather than a download. On my computer, the new screen shows this image full size.

I am going to go draw 3 new colors and see what the December paint lottery has in store for me!

3 comments:

Nava said...

Nice!! that's a great color combination. Jazz paintings usually come in cool blues and violets - that's a nice change.

RH Carpenter said...

I really like this!!! I am enjoying the 3-paints-only challenge, too, and have one almost finished for Friday :) I, too, have drawn my next 3 colors - too much fun using colors one would normally not think about using!

Sunny said...

This is a fun challenge. I did two painting of Cezanne's pears yesterday.
What is the best way for me to share my painting? Should I scan them into computer or take a picture and send them out as picture file? And where should I send it? You can tell that I am completely new to this.

Related Posts with Thumbnails