Sunday, January 27, 2008

DRAWINGS FROM TODAY'S MARATHON





I attended both the morning and afternoon sessions of the Model's Guild Drawing Marathon. I saw Sunny there. She, too, has been practicing with the Pose Maniac website and we both were amazed how much quicker we were able to draw today! All of the drawings on the phone book are one or two minute poses. After doing 30 second drawings on the computer, two minutes seemed so generous a time frame! When they went to 5 minutes and 10 minutes, I switched to different paper. I brought 4 half sheets of tyvek to experiment with so I did two in the morning and two in the afternoon. On the colored pieces, I used acrylic inks. I thought I had packed fluid acrylics but discovered they were left in my office after it was too late to do anything about it. I also forgot to pack a water container!! I really am not myself today. Fortunately, I found a plastic water container there, so no problem. For the brown tone, I used walnut ink. The blue scribbles are the wide copic marker and the dark line is a fine copic marker in black. I used my sharpened match in the pen holder to draw with ink and paint.

I made an interesting discovery. The acrylic color went all the way through the tyvek paper and made a very exciting textural pattern. Watercolor doesn't go through the paper so I was surprised but really liked the effect. I am going to try putting a second sheet of paper behind the first next time I paint with this material and then do a painting with what is transfered. I have posted the front, back and detail of one of these paintings. This was a 10 min. pose. The acrylic dries much faster than the watercolor, which makes it a viable choice for this fast kind of work. There is no time to let it dry!

I have also posted the only 20 minute pose we had all day! I had time to paint in some background as well. The acrylic made some very interesting textural effects here as well. I added some India ink for the black accents.

Tomorrow it's back to #'s 2 and 4 of the January Painting Challenge!


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails