Tuesday, August 7, 2012

HIDE AND SEEK!

50/50 #39
This was one of the most unusual backgrounds.  I wasn't sure if I wanted to put a drawing on top but it wasn't of any use to me without the drawing, so I took a chance.  I think it turned out alright.

There is a technique in Mary Todd Beam's second book where you take a piece of foil, paint it with black gesso, turn it over onto a piece of watercolor paper and draw on the back of the foil with a dull pencil, transferring black gesso lines onto the paper.  This background started with a saved piece of foil that had been used for that technique.  It has interesting silver lines where the gesso had been transferred.  Next I collaged some of my tissue paper that had been stenciled with white gesso hearts.  I decided to put a bronze metallic acrylic glaze over the piece to make it look antiqued.  Lastly I put the ink drawing on top.  I lucked out and the image worked okay with the background.  If it didn't, I would have ruined a special start.  Sometimes you just have to take a risk.  Ultimately, it's just a piece of paper.

6 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Wonderful job, Myrna. Is this Willy Nelson again?

Unknown said...

That's a beautiful technique! Thank you so much for sharing it. I had a collage workshop a few months ago and was fascinated by the possibilities. This is so creative and makes such an impact on the viewer. Wow!

Mike said...

Way to Go, Myrna! Gutzy and a true show of your creative muscles! This one bears close up inspection. Can't wait to see it in person.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Sherry, You are getting very good! Yes, this is Willie Nelson. What a fabulous face to draw.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Thanks, Katherine. Texture, does indeed, offer limitless possibilities. Be careful because it is very addictive!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Thanks, Mike. The show should be so much fun. I do hope you and Diana are able to make it. A nice scenic coastal drive for you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails