Wednesday, August 8, 2012

AM I BLUE?

50/50 #40

The simplicity of this background doesn't compete with the drawing.  I like how this one came out.  The background papers on this piece comes from a very simple technique that produces great results.  I got the idea from Edward Betts bookMaster Class in Watermedia.  (around the top of my list of great books) where he paints brushstrokes through tissue onto watercolor paper.  The tissue blocks some of the paint giving an uneven stroke on the watercolor paper in a way that is impossible to get with a straight forward approach.  I save the tissue! (of course) and then I decided to drop some tissue onto the butcher's tray I was using as a palette  and lifted off the residue that was there.  You have to carefully lift it up and drape it over a chair back or something until it dries as wet tissue is very fragile.  Anyway, that's how you can get that blotchy look.  So many times our palette looks so much  more beautiful than the painting!  Now you can capture that beauty.  It also appeals to the frugal nature in some of use.  Nothing wasted!

6 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

That is one exquisitely drawn nose on this guy, Myrna. Love the description of your using the tissue paper as well. I like the opposing delicacy to the masculinity of the face.

Unknown said...

You're doing amazing things with this technique! It's really exciting!

Lisa Graham said...

Myrna, this is so pensive. His sad posture is moving.

RH Carpenter said...

Since I am very partial to blue, this one may be in my top 5 so far :) I like the idea of painting through tissue and then using the tissue for collage work, too. Something I MUST do more of after your workshop - I don't want to forget everything before I start using it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Myrna, These portraits are exciting. I particularly like today's piece. Indeed the blue textured background fits the subject superbly!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Thanks for the positive comments. You guys make my day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails