Wednesday, January 19, 2011

LIFE LESSONS!

This was my favorite drawing from the Tuesday night model session at the Palo Alto Art Center.  Only $5 for 2 1/2 hours.  I am focusing on figures this year, so I am making the effort to get to lots of live drawing sessions.  I am tired at night, so it is a effort of will to drag myself out.  The place fills up very quickly.  I barely had a place to work.  Initially I was sitting on a tall stool.  My back was paying the price, big time, so I found a chair.  Fortunately, I was able to see the model when I was seated in the chair.

I have started another blog dedicated to my figure drawings.  You can see the rest of the nights efforts there.  I had a difficult time finding a name that wasn't taken!  Lots of bloggers out there. www.drawnfromlimbtolimb.blogspot.com was available.

I found a fabulous new book EXPRESSIVE FIGURE DRAWINGExpressive Figure Drawing: New Materials, Concepts, and Techniques by Bill Buchman.  He has some different approaches to drawing the figure.  I love the combination of materials and the looseness of his work.  I also got a dvd of his creative painting techniques. Creative Breakout, The Art of Freedom [Interactive DVD] I am excited and ready to try out these ideas.

I received great news while in San Diego.  The trip to Bruge has enough participants to be a definite GO!  There are 3 spaces left, so if you are thinking about joining us, contact French Escapades asap.

14 comments:

Kay said...

this is a lovely drawing. I applaud your efforts to get to the life drawing sessions. It is so hard some days to leave home to go out..even for something I want to do! Boy going to Bruge sounds like the trip of a lifetime! I would have to rob a bank or maybe win a lottery..so happy you get to go.

RH Carpenter said...

I like your new blog and that you are, once again, challenging yourself :) I may have to buy this book - you are soooo bad, telling me about these books!!! But I do have a birthday coming so...maybe free for me. Stop over and see the Egon Schiele drawings I've posted (I'm reviewing a biography of Schiele and sharing a summary with his works).

Sherry Pierce Thurner said...

I look forward to getting frequent peeks at your figure drawing and painting. I drop in on figure drawing in the summer, but stay home winters because of dangerous winter driving conditions and the fact that I get so keyed up I can't get to sleep on those nights. Still, I love those sessions. Guess I'll live vicarious for a few more months.

jane.w.ferguson@gmail.com said...

Thanks Myrna,ordered my copy of the book today,looks great.

Dee Doyle said...

Interesting that the very thing you mentioned about getting out at night and the long time on the stool [or standing to paint] wear you out ... I thought that I was the only one. Am feeling the age in my body but not my head.

Can't wait to see you on Monday in Portland! I have Mike printed out in several different compositions and manipulations from Photoshop.

Love Brugge and Zeebrugge. It was years ago, but I remember them both as a juxtaposition of classis "old," and wonderfully contemporary "organic," i.e., not contrived touristy places.

Meera Rao said...

lovely lovely drawing! --and I liked your earlier demos. Thanks for the book titles too.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Kay, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Overcoming inertia is the most difficult. Once I get going I am not tired anymore! Sometimes we really have to push ourselves.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Rhonda. I have been following your blog and love Egon Schiele's drawings. Hope your birthday finds a new book for you!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Sherry, I remember cold and snowy winters! California weather still seems unreal even after 35 years. Go to posemaniacs.com for some on-line figure drawing practice. Spring is just a few months away.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Jane, you will LOVE this book. We can compare notes!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Dee, I am looking forward to renewing friendships in Portland next week. I am dedicating myself to strengthening my body this year. I don't like what is happening.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Meera, Glad you like the drawing. Thank you for continuing to follow the blog.

Nancy Standlee said...

OK.. you did a good salesman job as the book, dvd and ONE brush is in the mail!! Thanks for the tip

Ida said...

Myrna! Thank you for your reviews - had never heard of BB before, researched, and now book and DVD ordered, already have brushes, you should get paid for this!! Love your sharing, thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails