Thursday, June 10, 2010

TELEVISION AND ART




Yesterday I was reading a new book on expressive drawing.  It had exercises for intuitive mark making.  I decided to get out my iPad while watching "So you think you can dance" and make expressive marks following the rhythm and movement of the dancers.  This was lots of fun to do and a good use of this little device.  I changed colors and width of line etc. messing around.  This one suggested a face (what a surprise!) and so I went back in with intention and pulled it together.  The "eraser" tool helps to clean up and eliminate some areas.  This image reminds me of wire sculpture I have seen using phone wires which are very colorful.  The second image is a moving figure.  I like working with the element of line and exploring many ways to use it.  The book is called "Expressive Drawing" by Steven Aimone

In a different combination of art and television, a friend just sent me a link to the new reality show pitting artist against artist for a big monetary prize and a solo show at the Brooklyn Museum.  Click on the title of blog post and it will take you to the link.  The first challenge involved portraits, so I was very fascinated with this episode.  I will let you draw your own conclusions.  I'm just glad I didn't sign up for this kind of madness.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your drawings are very expressive, so it looks like you succeeded! I've seen promos for the new reality series but haven't watched it. I'll be interested to learn your opinions.

Unknown said...

It seems perfectly logical to do expressive gesture drawing on I-pad.
I guess you could even say it's going green because you are saving at least one news print sketch pad!

Elisha said...

I can say that I never really wanted an iPad until I saw what you were doing with yours. It looks like so much fun. I can't wait to read that book as well. Did you recommend Color Choices as well?

Related Posts with Thumbnails