Sunday, June 13, 2010

LAYERING!

I have been working with my sample book and experimenting with some Inktense Watercolor Pencils by Derwent.  I bought a small set of six colors awhile back and didn't do much with them.  Lately I have seen others working  with them to great effect, so I got them out and now I am excited about the possibilities. (check out Robert Burridge's blog.  He did some fabulous pieces)  Naturally, I want a larger set but I think I want to select the colors I want as many colors are easy to mix and not necessary to have a separate pencil.  Jerry's Artarama has them individually on sale for $.88 each which is quite a bargain.  Sadly, I don't trust the colors I see on the monitor, so I need to see the set in person to select the colors and then order them.

The first image is a layered background page.  First, printed tissue paper collaged down, then a layer of plain tissue with gesso hearts stenciled onto the tissue,   I then wet the Inktense pencil and covered a textured rubber stamp and applied it here and there.  When dry, I glazed the whole page with Orange Interference acrylic.  I love the subtle metallic sheen.  These things don't every photograph properly.  

Second image is just the book board material stamped with dull gold and then I colored in the shapes with the Inktense pencil.  Looks rather Art Deco!  I glued a small print of one of my paintings on to cover up an area I messed up!  

Last image is a permanent ink drawing with my favorite Pentel Japanese brush pen, then coloring in with the pencils.  I usually wet out the pencil after I apply it.  You can take a wet brush and lift color right off the pencil to apply, as well as dipping the pencil into water and then applying it.  Exceptionally strong color is released with the latter technique.  Endless fun!!

11 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow, your paintings/drawings are fabulous. :) I love the inktense pencils, too, but just a word of caution: many of the colours are not lightfast and will fade pretty quickly. If you visit the Derwent website there is a colour & lightfast rating chart (scroll down to bottom). Here is the link for the inktense: http://www.pencils.co.uk/products/derwent.aspx?sid=17

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Great techniques going on here. I love the middle one, the bright flowers surrounding your face with its sense of ennui---funny contrast!

carolpete said...

I have some of those inktense pencils --- can't wait to play with them now. You've really inspired me!

rita sklar said...

They all look like fun. What is a sample book?

K said...

Always inspiring. I also love the pentel brush pen. I am looking forward to trying gold stamping. Is it gold gouache?

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Elizabeth, thanks for stopping by frequently and taking the time to comment. I appreciate the feedback.

Hi Carol! Can't wait to see what you do with the pencils.

Hi Rita. The book is from artboard I bought at Aaron Brothers. About 5 black pages that will take many different kinds of art media. I decided to use it as a place to try ideas and keep it as a sample book. The book can be used as many ways as you can come up with!

Hi K, I used gold acrylic fluid paint. You could use anything that is metallic, I would think. Trying to use all this "stuff" I purchased that sits on my shelf gathering dust!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Michelle, Thanks for the heads up about lightfastness. In my enthusiasm, I often overlook these kinds of important factors. I checked the link and it looks like the entire family of red colors is fugitive! Problemactic. I will pay attention where I use these pencils.

RH Carpenter said...

Great experiments, Myrna! That second one made me immediately think of a title: Love the flowers, hate the weeding :)

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Rhonda, great title! I will save it for future use as this image is in a book. How did you know my feelings about gardening?

Dee Doyle said...

Myrna, when I receive the notice of something new on your blog, I can't wait to see what you do. I rush to to your blog and read, then sometimes "try" what you show us. Of course I am a slow learner, and don't always "get" whatever it is you show.

this time, I rushed to prep a background paper with tissue collage, and then I came back to yhour blog page to see what was next.
The first time I read the page, I thought the three images were consecutive. [Am embarrassed to reveal my slow learning process.] Now I see there are three different projects. And, of course, love your work!

But now I don't know what to do with this collage "background." What do you use the background for?

Color me stupid or not too creative ...

Still I love what you do and learn something every time! Thanks!

Dee Doyle said...

Myrna, As usual, can't wait to see your new projects. Am a slow learner, and read the page thinking the three projects were one. I saw your three images on the blog page, and thought they were all going to be a progression of the same project. So now I have come back and re-read the page,, and am embarrassed to find they are three separate projects. Hah!

Now that I have prepped a "background" page, what do I use in a "foreground"? What do you use the background for? Color me slightly creatively impaired. Haven't really done a lot of collage ...

Just LOVE your work!

Related Posts with Thumbnails