Friday, June 13, 2008

SMALL COLOR STUDY


Today was another turn at sitting at Gallery Concord. I had borrowed an out of print book by Christopher Schink on color from a friend, so this was my opportunity to read it carefully and try out a few of the principles. I felt like I needed to be more conscious in my use of color. I revisit this subject from time to time. It seems like I glean a little more each time. Something registers that didn't before even though I know it was discussed and/or covered in a class. So, this little study was done in my Aquabee sketch book 6" x 9" using my little travel kit. I finally loaded the second tin with 6 more colors. New Gamboge, Quin Burnt Orange, Tiziano Red (Maimeri Brand), Peacock, Ultramarine Blue and Fog (an opaque off white from Cheap JoeMy idea was to have mostly lowered intensity colors with a contrast of a few pure hues in the focal area and mostly warm colors with a contrast of cool. It was a pleasant way to spend the afternoon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Myrna, I like the way the muted warm orange background sets up the blues and other colors of the subject. Interesting use of warm in the background. It's also interesting to see your range in drawing the human subject from day to day.

Administrative note. I'm having trouble sending email to you. How would you like files of the drawing a day challenge sent to you? The email address I'm using for you is the prodigy.net address.
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oops, that was me that wrote the comment above; I forgot to identify myself. I enjoyed this study. Thanks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails