Tuesday, June 10, 2008

CATHERINE ANDERSON: SKETCH & PAINTING




I took a wonderful workshop from Catherine Anderson a few years ago. She is a lovely, friendly and generous instructor. At the time, my goal was to learn every watercolor technique and master them. That way, I could paint any subject in any style. This workshop was one of the most important I ever took because I came to a realization.....WRONG THINKING! As beautiful as her style of painting is, I never, ever, ever wanted to paint like that. I realized I needed to be more selective in workshop instructors. I needed to work with those who would move me in the direction I wanted to go. That, of course, requires that one knows the direction to move in!! I decided I wanted figurative, experimental, and looser, looser, looser. I haven't heard about Catherine lately. Hope she is well, painting and achieving her goals. If anyone knows what she is up to, please share.

I am always taking photos of the workshop instructor and often the students. Here is a graphite drawing I did from these photos and then one of the finished paintings. I never showed them to Catherine and so I never entered the painting into any competition. It is one of my favorites. Someday, I am going to do a full sheet bozzetto of all the wonderful workshop instructors I have enjoyed.

4 comments:

Holly Van Hart said...

Myrna, I can see why this is one of your favorites! i love the wonderful detail of her face, and how the detail constrasts with the sketchiness of her hair and the drippy background. Holly

Anonymous said...

It is really beautiful and well done, however I can't figure out why the eyes of an artist should be so dark. Was that intentional?

Unknown said...

"I am going to do a full sheet bozzetto of all the wonderful workshop instructors I have enjoyed."

This is still a good idea - Like you don't already have enough to do. Ha!

Anonymous said...

Hi Myrna…I am good friends with Catherine. In fact have gone to see her a couple of times in Maine..She was really one of my first instructors…and I do not paint anything like her or in fact like very many others at all .But what I got from Catherine is the acceptance and encouragement to find yourself and your own path…..she is quirky but so am I …..she definitely is not a meat and potato teacher……we learn from everyone but I agree …after you have some years under your belt go for those who speak to your heart.

Related Posts with Thumbnails