Sunday, June 8, 2008

THE HUMBLE PENCIL!


Being a part of a co-op gallery means everyone takes turns being the host or hostess for the day. Today was my turn. We usually get a reminder call the day before. Something went wrong and I didn't receive the call. I failed to check my calendar so it was a surprise when the phone rang asking where I was! OOOOOPS! I grabbed my sketchbook and simple mechanical pencil and rushed off. I had such a good time making these drawings. The first is done in the modified contour style. I find that focusing on the image I am drawing, I still have the drawing in my peripheral vision so it stays fairly accurate without taking my gaze off of the drawn object. I don't know if I was quite so aware of this phenomenon as I was today.

I photographed more of my drawings in this sketchbook which I will be posting in the coming days. Most of them are quite detailed and a finished piece of art in itself. I am thinking I should place them in a mat. One of these days I will get around to taking care of these things. In the meantime, the sketchbook keeps them protected. Heavy application of graphite does smear, so I will spray these drawings to protect them. Right now I have a sheet of tracing paper on top of each drawing. It's important to spray outside with lots of fresh air. The last time I sprayed a drawing, I was in a hurry and did it inside the house. What a mistake that was. I had a headache for two days. Anything with a strong odor is toxic. I need to keep all the brain cells I have!

I read today about a masters in art program where the author had an assignment was to paint the same subject everyday for a month. I thought this was an interesting challenge that could be done with drawing. Let's try it for a week. Pick a simple subject and draw it every day for 7 days. When you have the 7 drawings, send them to me. If I like this one for myself, I will personally extend it to a month. I think it will be the July challenge but there is not time like the present to take action.

3 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Lovely drawings, Myrna! And I like the challenge - I'm in. Something to draw every day...hmmm.

Mike said...

Myrna . . .I find good ole Aqua Net hair spray works very well as a fixative for pencil drawings in a sketch book. No serious fumes to contend with and no 'schmears,' either. Give it a try

Anonymous said...

I've been away from painting for weeks, but could probably actually take along my pencil and draw. Great challenge. I'm in and thanks...already I know I'll enjoy it. Something you might find interesting. Write one page of your daily journal with your opposite hand. It's making changes, though they are subtle. Kathy

Related Posts with Thumbnails