Saturday, July 10, 2010

PATTERN PLAY!

                                                 
I was sitting at the SWA Gallery in Redwood City today.  My painting in their annual show received the Portrait Award!  I was excited to be so honored.  Each person in the show takes a turn at overseeing the gallery for a day.  I took my new drawing book and did a few exercises.  Yesterday I drew over 30 cats from my imagination.  Pitiful is the only word that comes to mind!  Today I drew faces with my non-dominant hand (left for me)  I had surprising control.  They looked better than the pathetic cats, anyway. Five hours is a long time to sit, so I decided to work on a patterned image.  I was pretty satisfied with it until I did an over-kill on the face.  That's why we have sketch books.  I like this sketch book.  It is small, lots of pages, easy to carry around and it doesn't feel precious so I don't mind messing it up with bad drawings.   

I think my next project is to do 30 or more drawings of the same image, each drawn from looking at the last drawing.  Sort of like that parlor game "Gossip" where one person tells the secret to the person on their right and by the time it gets all around the message has become very distorted.  


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Myrna, Congratulations on the award! I like your pattern play; very fun. Maybe that's what your cats need. I need to try this one day!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Peggy, My cats need YOU! I don't have any pets and animals are a challenge, especially out of my head! The patterning is called Zentangle. Look it up on Google. I could see you doing great things with it.

Vicki Holdwick said...

Hi Myrna,

I don't know if I've ever commented here before or if I've been lurking all this time.

I love your art and your writing style. I like the doodle patterns.

About the cats - are you doing the Drawing Lab on your own or are you a member of the Yahoo! group A.R.T.? We are doing a workshop using that book.

xoxo

Cynthia said...

This is a great exercise ...love the zentangle. ahhh please show us some of your kats!!! I bet they look interesting :) I like the inspiration you gave with the other drawing exercises too.
Congrats on the award too.

sisa said...

I would love to see those cats and have a feeling that they don't look that bad at all! I try to draw some myself right now for the drawing lab workshop at the "artists of the round table" yahoo group. I love to see all your work and read the comments you post on your blog! Thank you! Suzanne

jane Ferguson said...

Congrates Myrna,I love the pattern drawing,just not so sure about the bulls eye on the end of your nose :-)
Like the 30 drawing idea maybe give that a go when I sit at theGallery on Tuesday.

Unknown said...

I love all the goal setting around this place!!....what a determined and driven bunch we creative types are! phew....so much ENERGY! your portrait is lovely and yes...what Mryna said...zentangle...so many possibilities. (I always end up doing trees and wishing I could do portraiture like yours) Keep going! and congrats on your award! :)

RH Carpenter said...

Congratulations on the portrait award!!! I think I'd call this lady Mata Hari - she seems to be trying to hide in plain sight :) You must be one of the most creative people I "know" from bloggerville - always moving forward and building onto what came before - plus you must always be cooking up things in your head - perhaps I could visit there sometime to get some fresh ideas (I mean, who else would think of a turkey baster to make lines??!)
You rock!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Vicki, Thanks for commenting on the blog post. I am doing exercises from the book on my own. I checked out your cat drawings. I like yours better! Peggy has them down cold!

Cynthia and Suzanne, I am not ready to show my cats. I would lose all credibility! LOL maybe later.

Jane, I would love to see you do the 30 drawings one from the other!

SoINTOiT, thanks for stopping by. Draw what moves you and keep it going!

Rhonda, I would love to have you visit in person. San Francisco is a great destination. Free tourist guides by me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails