Wednesday, October 5, 2011

SNEAKY!

GARY EVEREST'S PORTRAIT OF ME
Google has a service that will track what ever you want.  I have them track my name and the name of my blog.  Imagine my surprise today when I discovered my portrait posted on the talented Gary Everest's blog.  Gary is one of those wonderful people that you create a friendship with via the internet.  Every once in awhile I have the joy of getting to meet someone in person.  I had the pleasure of meeting Gary when I was in Portland and we had a nice visit.  He took a few photos.  Gary does unique  self portraits that are very compelling.  He also paints portraits of others of his choosing.  I am so honored to be selected as a subject and he achieved an excellent likeness. Although I would never paint a self portrait with this expression, it perfectly reflects the comments Gary made about me.  I am humbled that he holds me in such high regard.  When a good portrait artist chooses their subject, their feelings for that person comes through unconsciously, and shows in the final painting, both good and bad.     

I am going to return the favor one of these days, but like Gary, I am going to catch him off guard and make it a big surprise.  Announcing this beforehand kind of makes it a bigger challenge to pull off a surprise, but stay tuned....

Gary didn't know this, but I am going up to Gualala, Ca. tomorrow to judge a portrait competition and will be giving an informal talk Thursday night at the Art Center on contemporary portraiture.  This coincidence of finding a portrait of myself today,  gives me more insight on the effect of the portrait on the subject.  Thanks, Gary!  If you are in the vicinity of Gualala ( 1 hour south of Mendocino on Highway 1) join in the lecture and discussion.  We start at 5:30.  I am looking forward to seeing the entries into the show and reconnecting with all the wonderful friends I have made in Gualala.

You can check out Gary's work by clicking on the link.


8 comments:

Jo Murray said...

Lovely portrait... I'd be thrilled too. Have a successful workshop.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Wow, Jo. I just posted! Thanks for the comment. I am just giving an hour talk and judging the show, no workshop this time. Sorry you are too far away to come.

Gary L. Everest said...

Hi Myrna,
Now, it's my turn to be surprised! I just finished writing a response to your comment on my blog and came here to see what you might have posted today. Surprise!
Now, it's my turn to say thanks for the kind words and going "above and beyond" to actually post the portrait on your own blog. What courage!
Many thanks, Myrna.
Sincerely,
Gary.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Myrna! I thought you said you had red hair?? LOL You have the most gorgeous eyes! Just beautiful; Gary did a wonderful job!

Kay said...

What a lovely thing to have happen! It's also nice to see how others see you :-) Best wishes.

Sherry Pierce Thurner said...

This is a lovely portrait, Myrna. Oh, Gualala! A few years ago my husband and I were on a short trip to San Francisco (we live in Wisconsin)and decided to drive north. When we got to Gualala we just decided to stop and then stay for three days! We had a lovely time there. I wish I could see the portrait show.

Lisa Graham said...

Wow, what a great story. I think it is a beautiful portrait and I like the expression, it's intelligent.

Unknown said...

It is a great portrait of you. Especially your beautiful dark eyes come alive in this painting. The artist did a wonderful piece of art here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails