Monday, October 17, 2011

MORE ONE DRAWING A DAY RESULTS


BAMBOO PEN/ COFFEE STICK & INK
COFFEE STICK & INK W/WASH

COFFEE STICK & INK PLUS WASH
The next exercise in the One Drawing A Day book suggests using Bamboo pens.  I have two different sizes, one being quite large, but the ink line isn't nice and wide like the example in the book.  In fact, the two pens produce a rather similar line.  I don't know what I am doing differently, but I prefer drawing with a flat thin wooden coffee stirrer as I can get a wonderful variety of line with that simple tool.  It is actually much more portable for on site sketching, too!  The first drawing today started with the bamboo pens and then I switched to the coffee stick.  The second drawing I added the wash.  I kept playing with the materials.  The first two images are of a gentleman that sat in Rembrandt's studio in his house in Amsterdam, keeping an eye on the place.  I actually asked his permission to take his photo.  A very handsome man!  The last image is of my husband....who also made a surprise appearance on Gary Everest's blog over the weekend!!!  Check it out!

I was in Kansas City for the weekend.  Almost all of our time was spent with family but I talked my husband into taking me to the Kemper contemporary gallery.   It is small but very attractive and had some wonderful work on display.  I will post images tomorrow.  My biggest disappointment was the Dean Mitchell painting "Release" wasn't on display although it is owned by the museum.  It is one of my very favorite paintings by this amazing artist and I was anticipating seeing it in person.  Oh well, maybe next time!  They have a large collection and a limited exhibition space.  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Each are gorgeous pieces, Myrna. I'm wanting to hear more about the coffee stick drawing though. How can you make lines without graphite or something? Or are you dipping it in ink?

Myrna Wacknov said...

Yes, dipped in ink. I save rinsed out sample bottles of shampoo, etc. from hotels and fill it with different fluids like ink for travel and urban sketching.

Jo Murray said...

Your drawings are soooo expressive and dynamic Myrna. I envy your skill.

Meera Rao said...

Wonderful sketches --reminds me of your year of experiments and sketches of self portraits in "Drawn to the Mirror" :)

crayzys said...

Love the stark black and white images. Life is always in the gray zones. Blurred with shadow and nuances of age lines, the lines of our many daily small and large battles. Best, Jean

Related Posts with Thumbnails