Wednesday, September 10, 2008


I spent a few hours today finishing up the painting. My biggest problem was getting the support board to be perfectly level. I am painting on a French easel in my "Library" space. It has 3 adjustable legs. I have a large art glass marble that I placed on the board. Which ever way it rolled I knew to raise that side. It took awhile, but I finally got the perfect adjustment. I usually work on a table when I am painting on Yupo or Tyvek so it is automatically level.

The ink from the stamped images resisted the paint, creating some interesting effects. I will need to spray this painting with acrylic spray after I am sure I don't want to make any changes. I do this because the heaviest paint will remain tacky indefinitely. The spray seals it and gives an even sheen to the surface.

This painting is pretty wild. I limited my colors to Ultramarine, Alizarin Crimson, New Gamboge, Hansa Yellow Deep and Diluted Thalo Blue. This painting reminds me of a quilted image. It has future possibilities. I do think I need to tone things down next time. Hopefully, I will get my thick gesso tomorrow and can do a texture painting with it.


Nava said...

There's a surreal feel to this one, and the slice of realistic face provides a very clever contrast! Mr. Frenchman now looks like he's taking a walk in Jardin des Tuileries in bloom. Very cool.

Sandy Maudlin said...

What an impact this makes! The textures that you've added plus the colors - whew! LOVE IT! So good to see your creativity unleashed on YUPO!

Kari Gibson said...

Yes, it works so well with paint too. I will have to give this a go!

Elizabeth Parsons said...

I love your no-holds approach to creativity and your experiments with watercolor! it is inspiring to me!


David Lobenberg said...

dyno-mite, woman! Love this one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails