Friday, November 2, 2007

FRIDAY CHALLENGE #6 CREATING GRIDS

I thought I would make the challenge tie into the monthly painting challenge today. Keep a sketchbook handy all week and record grid patterns when you come across them. I am going to go through the Gee's Bend quilts and copy the grids I like into my sketch book. Grids are simply a way to divide up the space. Which artists can you think of that work from a grid. Chuck Close comes to mind and, of course, Mondrian did nothing but grids. Might be fun to see how different a painting you could create based on one of his grids. How about an arial image of farm land. Overhead wires of a streetcar intersection. When you focus on something, it is amazing how it appears all around you. When you find an interesting source for grids, be sure and let me know.

I have tried for the last two days to upload an image to the blog but there is a problem. Hopefully they will have it fixed by tomorrow and I can share my first trial painting for the month.

2 comments:

Nava said...

Here's one source for grids: Google Maps (or any map/atlas, for that matter).

Don't forget your brushes tomorrow (and the drawing :-)

Myrna Wacknov said...

A message I received from Terri Hill:

"I find an excellent source of grids in wonderfully designed page layouts of ads, book design, brochures, posters, all kinds of print materials."

Thanks, Terri, for the idea!

Related Posts with Thumbnails