Friday, June 19, 2015

HOW DO YOU DO THAT?

AURYN INK DIGITAL DRAWING OF FLORENT FROM THE FELIX CAFE IN PARIS

CONTINUOUS LINE DRAWING OF FLORENT FROM THE FELIX CAFE IN PARIS

Add cTOMBO PEN DRAWING OF FLORENT FROM THE FELIX CAFE IN PARIS

I thought I would share with you my process for developing images from a reference photo.  I recently had the wonderful opportunity to share a week with my sisters in Paris.  I had rented an apartment that had no internet connection, so we searched for an internet cafe and found The Felix Cafe a few blocks from our apartment.  Florent was the barrista and he was so friendly and helpful to us.  The French can be very warm and welcoming.   We looked forward to seeing him every morning.  The last day of our visit,  I took a photo of him, catching him by surprise, then he posed, and then he took a photo with my sister, who is under 5 feet tall.  Florent is well over 6 feet tall.  I could do a fun version of "American Gothic" with this photo.  Perhaps in the future. 
FLORENT AND HARRIET AT THE FELIX CAFE IN PARIS
 Because I like his look and personality, I decided to start a series of paintings with Florent as my subject.  Keep in mind, this is not a commissioned portrait, so I will be trying for the essence of the person and expression, not a perfect replication of his features.  

The first step is for me to do a number of drawings.  I like to work with ink so there is no option to erase and correct.  I find by drawing multiple times,  I make adjustments each time and get closer and closer to what I am seeking.  I also become very familiar with the shapes and distances between shapes by doing multiple drawings so that I am able to do a drawing without looking at the reference material.  The top image done digitally in the app Auyrn Ink (a watercolor art app) was created from memory after doing the two bottom drawings.  

I am working on a painting now.  Those steps will be shared in my next post.  Stay tuned!!!

PS  The Watercolor Artist magazine is now available at major bookstores and on line.  Check out the wonderful article they were generous enough to write on my self portraits! http://www.northlightshop.com/watercolor-artist-august-2015



10 comments:

Sadami said...

Thank you for sharing a wonderful post, Myrna! And congrats on the magazine!! Best wishes, Sadami

Myrna Wacknov said...

Thank you, Sadami. There are so many ways to achieve an interesting result. Thought I would show how I go about it. By the way, I apologize for misspelling your name last time. My sister pointed it out but I couldn't figure out how to edit my mistake. I will pay more attention in the future.

Magdalena said...

Awesome ! I wish I could do portraits like you do !!

RH Carpenter said...

I was so happy to see your article in the magazine and read every word!! And such wonderful paintings they shared, too :) Ah...perhaps you should do one of Florent and your sister saying, "Coffee Stunts your Growth, Dear!" ha ha Love the drawings but my favorite is always the hand of the artist - the Tombow ink pen drawing on paper :)

Myrna Wacknov said...

Thank you Lena. It is my passion!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Rhonda, that is a great painting title!!! Thanks for the idea. Also, thanks for the nice comments on the magazine article.

Unknown said...

Hi Myrna, thanks for sharing. You are indeed a genius. Your work keeps us inspired to do more with Auryn Ink. I would like to share this image on our website gallery its wonderful. I do have the magazine and fits well in my inspiration category. Look forward to the finished portrait. - Umesh

Myrna Wacknov said...

Thank you, Umesh. Of course you can share it on your website gallery. It would be an honor. I feel I am gaining mastery the the Auryn Ink app. It is a fun way to change myself.

Joyfulartist said...

I, too, read the article from top to bottom, so informative and helpful. It's a keeper! How exciting to rent an apartment in Paris, with or without internet. It's such a fun city to explore and I have found that most of the Parisians are helpful if not friendly.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Thanks, Janet. Glad you enjoyed the article.

Related Posts with Thumbnails