Wednesday, March 16, 2011

IT SHOULD BE ILEGAL!

Here is the latest sketch from my iPad.  I did quite a few but erased most of them.  I thought she was kind of cute, so I saved it.  I purchased a stylus to draw with more accuracy and I am having so much fun, it should be ilegal.  

I am working on a serious painting but, for some reason, it is going slowly and I am working too tightly.  I am photographing my progress, which I shall share when the painting is done.

I took the day off to go with a friend to a major exhibit in San Francisco.  Every year top floral designers are selected to create amazing pieces that are based on different art pieces at the De Young Museum in Golden Gate Park.  The exhibit runs for only one week.  The museum opens at 10.  We were at the parking garage at 10:15  and it was full!!!!!!!!!  This is a huge underground parking facility.  Naturally, I wore my "cute" shoes instead of serious walking shoes so I couldn't hike very far.  This also meant that the crowd was going to be 10 deep inside the museum making it very difficult to see the pieces.  We gave up looking for a parking place within walking distance and drove to another museum, The Legion of Honor, where there was an amazing exhibit of over 60 trompe l'oeil masterpieces inspired by the history of costume. all made entirely of paper!  We happened to arrive just as the docent was starting to take a group around.  I sometimes forget  how much more enjoyable an exhibition is with a docent.  This woman was outstanding.  The show was called Pulp Fashion, the Art of Isabelle de Borchgrave.   If you ever have the opportunity to see this exhibit, don't miss it.  In the meantime, look Isabelle up on the internet to get a feel for what she does.  There were no photos allowed.

12 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Looking forward to seeing your next piece and am off to look up the artist you mentioned. It sounds so intriguing!

William Cook said...

I bought a stylus and pad too. Haven't had the courage to get it out of the box yet. Your lady with the cup is a riot. Wm

Unknown said...

Your Ipad sketch is wonderful. When do you trade that one in for the new one just out with the cameras? You could have an occupation down there just to go to Museums.

Kay said...

Love your Ipad sketch! I was at that floral show in 2008. It was great! I love both museums! Hope to get back there someday.

RH Carpenter said...

The cup looks so small - like an espresso - so she makes me think of an Italian grandmama all in black with her cane :) We have a themed show like that at the Cincinnati Art Museum, too and it's always packed (short time frame since the flowers don't last long).

debwardart said...

Hi Myrna, I follow your blog but don't think I've ever commented.
Our art club board recently had reason to have a discussion about iPad work - whether it is "computer generated art". Our board was split pretty much down the middle, until a reading of our club's definition of "art media" as being ". . . an idea applied to a surface by hand, whether sprayed, drawn, impressed or glued, etc." This work would certainly have been "applied to a surface by hand", but is it still "computer generated"?? I'm assuming that you are able to manipulate the image once it is in your iPad, so that would be computer enhanced, if not generated.
Just a year ago, this would not have been an issue (!) but with technology changing so quickly, perhaps "computer generated" has now taken on a different connotation and needs to be redefined.
What are your thoughts on this subject? Thank you.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Autumn, This artist has a wonderful website. Enjoy!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Wm, your blog is so interesting. You write exceptionally well and love your wm signature!. Get that iPad out have a go at it. It is very erasable!!!!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Carrie, If my husband is footing the bill, I will get the newest iPad2, otherwise I will wait till at least the next upgrade. These "toys" are too expensive to trade in for the latest model with my income. I would like a lighter version for carrying around in my purse and making videos with the iPad would be very cool. I have a birthday coming up so we will see how good I am at dropping hints!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Kay, If you find yourself in the Bay Area, give me a call. We could check out the museum scene together one afternoon. Friends that managed to go to the floral exhibit said it was spectacular plus lots of interesting people to photograph. RATS!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Rhonda, She does look Italian but the photo was of a Turkish woman. I think there comes a point where we all start to look like archetypes!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Deb, Well the iPad is definitely digitally generated even though it is created by hand. I certainly counts as original art and takes a lot of skill and ability to manipulate the tools. I think the fact that the final product is a print may be the distinction you may want to make. If fine photography is part of your club, then this would not be that different. Times are changing and attitudes also. There was a time when only transparent watercolor on watercolor paper was allowed in Watercolor Societies. Now there are very few societies that hold to that narrow standard.
Thanks for valuing my opinion.

Related Posts with Thumbnails