Sunday, October 25, 2009

Outwin Boochever Competition Finalists


The waiting is over! Click on the title of today's blog and it will lead you to the winners and finalists in the Smithsonian's Outwin Boochever Portrait Competition. They selected 49 out of the 100 semi finalists. There is a People's Choice award, so look them all over and pick your favorite. Be sure and click on each image as many of them have a lot more image than is showing up on the group page. Also, notice the size of each work (there are some real surprises to be found) and be sure and read the artists' explanation of their work. As always, you will not agree with all of the choices. I took the time to compare the different media, so here is the breakdown: 23 oil paintings; 12 photographs; 3 acrylics; 2 sculptures (both in a synthetic material) 2 Ink; 2 Video; 1 Pastel; 1 Waxy Chalk (what could that be?); 1 Egg Tempera; 1 Gouache; 1 charcoal and 0 WATERCOLORS!

This is a very major portrait competition held every 3 years and based on a similar type of competition held by The National Portrait Gallery in England. That competition is held every year. At one time it was restricted to citizens of the United Kingdom but now is open to artists in other countries. They still have the restriction of having to be under the age of 40. Rats, even my kids wouldn't qualify!

Since I love portraits, I am happy to see lots of support and interest in this form of art.

I am curious to see the other 50 semi finalist paintings and how they compare to the finalists. I would like to start a blog to post these images. Let's see what the power of the internet is. I do not personally know of any other artists that were semi finalists. If you know of someone or want to spread the word, have them contact me and I will start the Semi Finalist blog and create a link so all can enjoy.

5 comments:

Ida said...

Thanks Myrna - letting us know the tastes of the jurors. Wonder how old they are......

Cynthia said...

No watercolors....hard to believe isn´t it!!! I will check it out...thanks for the tip.

Mary Paquet said...

I took a quick look -- odd assortment of work. I would have expected to have selections by media.

David Eichenberg said...

The reason for the wide variety is the Outwin Boochever is a reflection of contemporary portraiture in America. Funny though never noticed there was not a watercolor. The show really is a great collection of works, you must see it in person, as always photos do no justice to the actual works. It is an honor to be included in the show.

Making A Mark said...

Cynthia - if you click the BP Portrait Award label on my blog - http://makingamark.blogspot.com/search/label/BP%20Portrait%20Award - you'll find all my posts about the UK competition

I go to the press preview and the awards ceremony each year so also have good photos of the pieces which win and the exhibition generally.

Related Posts with Thumbnails