Saturday, September 26, 2009

ART SIGHTINGS IN THE REDWOODS!



I took a few days off and traveled up the California Coast, crossed over into Oregon and met some life-long friends now living in Portland (I'm talking high school here!) in a beautiful little coastal town called Gold Beach. It is right where the Rogue River meets the Pacific Ocean. It looked like Fisherman heaven! The weather was beautiful and we had a great time. We took a jet boat ride one day up the Rogue River. Spotted some Bald Eagles, blue herons, egrets, and many more birds.

It's a long drive up and equally long back, but we decided to take the scenic route home. There is a parallel road through the Red Woods for about 45 miles, so we got off 101 and took the slower path. This was originally a stagecoach road. There are small little hamlets nestled there in the woods. Here are two of the interesting carvings made from a Red Wood log. Lots of wood sculptures along the route. Now where does one put a giant Indian Head sculpture? It looked like it would have been out of place in the back yard, so we passed on the opportunity to buy.

I packed up my supplies for the Minneapolis workshop coming up. I don't know if I will have a chance to do any art for the coming week, but I will be working on something. I am looking forward to the reception for the San Diego Watercolor Society National Show next Friday Night. Another long drive, but it is worth it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Myrna, Sounds like you had a great trip. You probably picked the best time of year to visit - late summer early fall. Cool photos!

Maggie said...

Myrna! Where would I put it? Somewhere out in my yard in perfect harmony with St Francis of Assisi, Buddha and the Angel, to name a few!

Billie Crain said...

Myrna, I'd love to go back to the Redwoods someday. I was there in 1990/1991 and fell in love with the whole area. We didn't make it up to Oregon. Far as we got was Klamath. Great totem poles up that way. Did you try the salmon jerky?

Related Posts with Thumbnails