Friday, March 6, 2009

PAUL HOGARTH INK DRAWINGS


I found this wonderful book in a used book store the other day. Creative Ink Drawing by Paul Hogarth. This book is from the '60's published by Watson Guptill. Most older books are frustrating because they are in black and white but a book about pen and ink is perfect. I love this guy's style. He describes his techniques and gives lots of great information plus fun anecdotes. I enjoyed reading this book on the plane. One technique demonstrated in this illustration is using blotting paper and diluted ink wash to get a great textural effect. After all, I do love texture!!

3 comments:

Yorky said...

If you like Paul Hogarth's sketches, you will thoroughly enjoy his book "Graham Greene Country" Pavilion Books Ltd, 1986 ISBN 1 85145 042 4 (now out of print) where he travels the world describing and sketching the locations of 24 of the Graham Green books.

It has been an inspiration to me.

Doug Elliot

Myrna Wacknov said...

Douglas, thanks for the information. The book I have referenced Brenden Behan's New York and showed lots of illustrations he did for that one. I shall check out Graham Green Country.

Anonymous said...

Hi Myrna! I especially like the expression on the two characters. Drawings are so much fun to look at. I am impressed by the stamp you did yesterday. I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails