Thursday, March 12, 2009

MY FIRST PAINT-OFF!


David Lobenberg invited me to participate in a paint-off with several other artists using an image of a saffron turbaned man. You can see the final results on David's blog. Just click on the title of today's post and it should take you there. I felt a little stressed trying to get this painting done in the middle of preparations for a trip but it didn't take that long and I had fun. I love seeing how everyone paints differently using the same model or photo. Above is my contribution to this event.

I have been focusing on the idea of dominance since my Solano Beach workshop and this is the first opportunity for me to put my ideas into action. In the past I haven't been quite so cerebral in working out the details of a painting but this time I made a card with my plan written out. I think I will use this format again, as the card organized my thoughts very well and kept me focused on what I had in mind.

This is what I wrote down: WHAT INTERESTS ME (WHAT I WANT TO "SAY").....THE COLOR AND TEXTURE OF THE TURBAN, AND MOSTLY THE INTENSITY OF THE GAZE OF THE EYES

DOMINANT ELEMENT: 80% VALUE ( medium values 80%/low values 15%/hi values 5%)
CONTRAST ELEMENT: 20% LINE
HUES: YELLOW, ORANGE 80%/ BLUE, VIOLET 20% (TONES(neutralized colors) 80%/ TINTS (light colors) 15%/HUES (pure color) 5%)
TEMPERATURE: 80% WARM/20% COOL
INTENSITY: 80% LOW (neutralized)/ 20% HIGH(pure color)
COMPOSITION: HORIZONTAL PANORAMIC
MOOD: INTENSE

Well, I came close most of the time but having the plan helped me to achieve a more dynamic painting. My idea is to have a very strong dominance in every aspect so as to make the contrast "pop". This will take some practice but I am excited about the possibilities.

12 comments:

David Lobenberg said...

I know an artist who always talks about the Star of his
painting and the Supporting Actors. Thanks for
participating (dig those eyes) and have a rollicking good time in Spain!,

Anonymous said...

Myrna - I love what you did with him. I went to David's blog to see the others. They were all good, but yours went the extra distance. Thanks for reminding me of the many wonderful lessons from the workshop. I remain very excited about all this good stuff. Bon voyage! Kathy

Ann Buckner said...

What fun and a neat painting. Enjoy your blog immensely.

Anonymous said...

Hi Myrna, I like your interpretation! The composition is exciting and creative. OK, hmmm, I think I need to try the card idea. Have a wonderful time in Spain.

Arti said...

Lovely piece..you have got the intensity just right, not to mention the vibrant yellow of turban....

Anonymous said...

Hi Myrna, I love following your blog. You always have amazing paintings and I am so impressed with your energy and range of creativity.

Anonymous said...

Ditto to everyone else and have a fabulous trip.
Jane F.

Nava said...

Definitely intense. And the cropping is very effective.

Enjoy Spain!!

Unknown said...

Myrna, I love seeing the things you come up with, and this is another winner. The gaze is very intense. I like the card idea, a sort of map to guide the painting. I'll have to try it.

Nina Jørgensen said...

beautiful!

Nick said...

That guy's been getting around..looks very cool here. Impressed by all the percentage stuff, I could never keep track of that, and what do you do if the painting wants to go a different direction? Do you let it, or stick with the plan? (I take the path of least resistance!)

Myrna Wacknov said...

Nick, when I have a plan things go better but they never work out exactly as I had planned! When the painting starts to speak to me I go with what is happening. I can always start again with my plan if I feel like it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails