Tuesday, December 9, 2008

VOTE FOR PEGGY STERMER-COX! and MORE MARATHON DRAWINGS




Peggy Stermer-Cox is one of 5 finalists in the on-line "furry friends" competition. If you click on the blog title it will take you to the website where you can vote for your favorite. All the finalists have done exceptional technical work but Peggy's is the most original and creative. In fact it is the only one of the five that isn't photo-realistic.

Here is a website where you can do a digital download of the October 2007 issue of Watercolor Magic which features an article about my portraits, in case you missed this issue and wanted one for yourself. As Robert Burridge says "shameless self promotion" http://www.fwmagazines.com/product/1379/160

These are the last I will post from the Merritt College Drawing Marathon. The first two had the paper treated with a diluted raw umber wash from my sponge top bottle I was looking for (found it at Staples) The color flooded out and looked like cafe au lait running all over. The sponge top bottle was not such a great success but I haven't given up on it yet. When that dried, I put some "dirty glaze" over it with the palette knife. I was going to collage some tissue over this but got lazy and just left it. Originally, I didn't like how the page looked but once I put the drawing on and added the black, walnut and white inks to it, I decided this was a good background to start with.

The last drawing was done on just the plain paper. It was an amazingly forshortened view. Reminded me of Manet's Dead Toreador.

2 comments:

Mary Paquet said...

Myrna, any one of these pieces could win an art competition. You are so creative and the drawings are wonderful.

I recently began doing a weekly life drawing session at the Los Gatos Art Museum and am certainly challenged by the varied pose perspectives. Mainly I work in either pen or charcoal, but when I become more successful at this, I would love to use more creative supports, inks, and washes.

Peggy, congratulations. I voted for your piece-- wonderfully exciting.

Mary Paquet

Anonymous said...

Myrna and Mary, Thank you! I'm honored and humbled. I agree with Mary, these drawings of yours Myrna are inspiring. Such interesting, creative preparation of the paper and you make it work.

Related Posts with Thumbnails