Sunday, July 19, 2009

TRIAL AND ERROR




I was inspired by this fantastic artist from Lisbon, Portugal known as Vhils (click on blog title for a direct link) and decided to see if I could achieve a similar effect with paper and paint instead of huge crumbling exterior walls and paint! I collaged an old painting with my hand painted tissue paper and then drew my Frenchman on top with a white pencil. I then started painting with glazes of acrylic paint. I had a great time painting, rubbing, spritz with alcohol then rub, paint again etc. I tried some interesting techniques and liked some of the results. However, overall I didn't like the final result. The white against the papers I used was unpleasant and I lost a lot of the original paper which was supposed to be the dark values. It got smeared and painted over too much. After looking at it for a long time, I decided to keep the right side and cover over the rest with more collage paper. I haven't decided where to go from here. I have a few ideas. There is always gesso waiting in the wings if it is a total failure. In the meantime, I decided to try again with the original idea but thought I needed cool colors to play off the chalk white. I also decided not to make the collage so striped. It takes awhile to dry so I shall add the face tomorrow. I don't know if this trial and error process will produce anything good but I sure am having fun.

5 comments:

Cindi said...

wow you are creative!!! it may not be exacaty what you started out to accomplish.. but its VERY interesting.. will be watching to see where you go from here!!! just noticed you were in my neck of the woods in jan.. darn will need to watch to see when you'll be close again!! have fun!!

mary Crowell said...

I loved the first one, too late! but am anxious to see what you do with the last collage.

Nava said...

I was also fascinated by the work of Vhils (I wish I knew about him when we were in Lisbon!).

There is something haunting in the one you did. If you weren't pleased with it, I wonder what you had in your mind's eye.

Angela said...

You're such a brave artist - I really find your blog inspiring!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Cindi, I will be back in San Diego in January 10-14, 2011. I am going to try to come to the reception for the SDWS National show this year. Hope to see you there.

Mary, glad you liked it but I think you will like the new and improved version better.

Nava, I think I wanted a crisper image. There is a fine line between haunting and creepy and I think I crossed the line.

Angela, you tell yourself it's just a piece of paper and then plunge in! Try it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails