Saturday, July 19, 2008

MEET STEPHEN BRUCE



I went to the Menlo Park Art and Wine street fair and who should I see but my subject. Meet Stephen Bruce, a talented artist creating art with various sheet metals. You can see his work at www.stephenbstudios.com. I informed him I had posted my painting of him on the blog last night and told him how to find it. I think he was fairly startled, but very gracious. This is a very handsome, imposing gentleman and I hope I captured his intensity and power.

After returning from the fair, I took out my set of watercolor crayons and set to work to complete the image. I was able to recapture some lighter areas and brought a little more color to the face. The watercolor crayons can be wetted and really smooth out with a damp brush on this Tyvek, making it difficult to detect. I left some of the tell-tale marks and smoothed out some others. I have posted yesterday and today's adjustment side by side for comparison. The way I photographed and adjusted the image in Elements makes it difficult to see much difference. If you click on the image it will show up enlarged which may help to see what I did.

I'm not sure I made it better but I don't feel like I ruined it so this one is ready for a mat. I have my next idea all ready in my head. Translating the images in my head to paper ... now that's a challenge!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Myrna, It's a stunning portrait. I can see the difference between the two. To me, I see the shapes better in your updated version. You captured the intensity of expression.

David Lobenberg said...

Better. I like the lighter shading under his chin. Hey, Mryna, about a year or two ago we worked with prisma colored pencils and that water soluble crayon with the fancy smancy French name that I can't spell. I've posted it on my blog. Check it out.

cp said...

Hi Myrna. I just happen to know Stephen. Is this particular portrait for sale? You can contact me at cpotter1964@excite.com

Thank you
Carole

cp said...

Hi Myrna. I just happen to know Stephen. Is this particular portrait for sale? You can contact me at cpotter1964@excite.com

Thank you
Carole

Related Posts with Thumbnails