Friday, July 25, 2008

CLOSING IN ON THE IMAGE!


This is the 4th drawing I did tonight and I think I am finally closing in on a fairly accurate image. I could draw it with measuring and guide lines for placement but I lose the spontaneous quality I like by drawing modified contour style. I don't mind redrawing the image multiple times. Each time I try a different starting point to move from shape to shape. I get better and better at gauging distances, angles, relationships, etc. I think if I draw this image a few more times, I will have it nailed. This one, the mouth is not right but the eye placement is better and the size of the nose is more accurate. This is a very odd vantage point for a head and has turned out to be much more difficult to draw than most. After all this drawing, I am not sure I really like the image and will probably do the other view.

In the meantime, I am waiting for another 40% off coupon for Michael's Art Supply so I can buy an alphabet stamp set that has bigger letters than any I have now. Once I have that, I can continue my background experiments.

Some of you have commented on how much preparation I put into my paintings. I don't go to all this work for many of them but when I plan to draw directly on the paper with no chance for correction, I do like to make a number of practice drawings before hand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do like the drawing; as you say the vantage point is interesting. It's fun seeing how you plan and develop your work. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails