Sunday, January 10, 2016

IT'S ALL IN THE PREPARATION


GERTRUDE STEIN - DEMO PAINTING MIXED MEDIA
I have been working most of the week on this image.  It is my example for the one day workshop at the end of the month in celebration of Gertrude Stein and her famous haircut.  We will be working with collage.  Since I have such a short period of time, I thought I would stick to one idea.  I call this technique paper quilting.  In fact, I incorporated some fabric in this one, along with hand made papers and some printed tissue paper.  Below is the sequence I followed.


This is the original image I found on the internet.   Next, I simplified the shapes in with the application iColorama.


Using this value pattern, I broke the face into simplified shapes, printed that image out on an a sheet of  paper, took it to the copy shop and enlarged it the size I wanted to work with.


I made a master tracing and  a second tracing where I numbered each shape and then proceeded to cut each shape out in various papers and fabrics and glued them down to my prepared substrate which I had coated with gesso and transferred the image.  There are some good tips and techniques I teach to do this whole process somewhat easily.  

Here is the completed collage.  I could have put in the eyes with ink and called it a day, but I can't leave anything alone.   At this stage, it does look like a quilt.  I wanted to add some paint. 



and here is the actual finished painting.   I think I might work on it a bit more but you get the idea.






7 comments:

Sadami said...

Wow, Myrna thank u for sharing the precious process. I met only one portraitist who used collage. Your challenging spirit and an amazing result stimulate me to work on different techniques. Best wishes, Sadami

Myrna Wacknov said...

Today at 7:58 AM
RH Carpenter has left a new comment on your post "IT'S ALL IN THE PREPARATION":

I hereby crown you the Queen of Collage! Your experiments and challenges (for yourself) are wonderful to see and inspire me to do more, whether it's with collage or not, just to do more - explore, have fun, see what if!!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Sadami, I love to share ideas and hope other artists do the same. We learn from each other. Let me know what new idea you come up with!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Rhonda, I accidentally hit delete instead of publish! Thanks for the crown! I always wanted to be queen and now I are one.

Meera Rao said...

Totally wonderful art :) Love how you creatively mix and match ! Thanks for so generously sharing.

Christine's Arts said...

I love this, what a great way to do a portrait! I want to try, but then I want to do everything. You must know how that is. Thanks for sharing, I love your work.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Christine, thank you for your kind comments. I know the feeling about wanting to try everything. Probably why I rarely do the same thing twice!

Related Posts with Thumbnails