Thursday, December 19, 2013

CLOSING IN ON FINISHING THIS PAINTING!

Jerry

I am pleased with the interaction of the background with the foreground in this one.  Two and one half faces to go.  One half?  Yes, I am partially finished with the center panel.

I went to see a fabulous exhibit yesterday at the DeYoung Museum in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco.  David Hockney has produced an amazing series of works, both landscape and portraiture, in a wide variety of mediums….watercolor, oil, acrylic, charcoal, video and digital drawing and painting.  Most of these works have been presented by combining multiple pieces, framed as one.  The digital prints have very subtle seaming but most of the canvases are not in total alignment of the imagery and some are actually framed in thin wood and then put together like looking through a window that had multiple panes.  The seams became part of the image.  I don't remember seeing art presented this way before.   The enlarged digital prints were very exciting.  Much of what is being passed around on the internet regarding digital imagery is very photo realistic.  These pieces look like paintings with Hockney trademark strokes and stylization.  If you can't get to the exhibit, there is a video available as well as a book.  I have mine reserved at my local library, on a waiting list.  In the meantime, ideas generated by this wonderful exhibit are swimming around in my head!

5 comments:

Peggy Stermer-Cox said...

Hi Myrna,
This has been fun watching you develop this painting. I look forward to seeing the finished work. I am inspired by your creativity and experimentation. Plus, the drawing is good!

Autumn Leaves said...

Jerry is cute, Myrna. I do love these panels you've been creating and I look forward to seeing them all together. Reminds me of that one show you did where you had all those small panels on display...

RH Carpenter said...

This is looking good, Myrna, and I can't wait for the Big Reveal - when we get to see it all together! Thanks for the tip about the Hockney show - I'll look up more info on that and see if I can see some images. And Happy Holidays to you and your family and a wonderful, hopeful, joyful New Year!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Thank you all for being such a constant support of my work. I finished painting the last panel this morning. I think I need to go back into several of the other panels and bring them to the same level as the last ones I did. I should have the piece finished by the end of the day or tomorrow but will reveal one panel at a time and then the finished painting.

Lisa Graham said...

Hi Myrna,

your art work is always so good and so technical. I am amazed each and every time I visit your blog.

I looked up Hockney...wow...fantastic. Wish I was little closer to San Fran. His use of lines is so interesting.

You inspired me to look up our own museum here in Wichita to see what is currently there (I haven't been since early fall). There are some Guy Wiggins paintings to see...snowy winter landscapes to fit the holiday spirit. So thank you!

Merry Christmas!

Related Posts with Thumbnails