Friday, March 19, 2010

TOO MUCH FUN!

I went to the office supply store today and found the Tyvek Envelopes.  The only ones they had were slightly larger than what was recommended in the video, but it works just fine.  You have to make some slight adjustments in the numbers he mentions, but that was easy even for me and I am very math challenged.  So, this is the front of the envelope which is 10 x 13 inches.  I made the first wallet without painting it just to see how it works.  Then I made a second wallet and painted the area he shows in the video.  That one was alright but I wanted to try stamping and painting with an ink drawing (be sure the ink is permanent so it won't run and bleed when you paint over it), so I made a third one.  I decided to paint the entire front of the envelope instead of just half (as in the video)  Now that it is put together, I see that the bottom half should be facing the other direction because it gets folded up and looks upside down in the finished wallet.  So, if you use a pattern or image that has a definite direction, keep that in mind.
 

Once you get the hang of it, the actual  folding, cutting and taping goes fairly quickly.  
This was so much fun to do.  The box has 50 envelopes, enough to share with friends or make little gifts.  I think I shall make some up and sell them in the Gallery.  Tyvek is a wonderful surface.  You can stamp on it, draw with ink, use colored pencil lines, paint with watercolor or acrylic, collage some tissue paper on part of it and glue down with 50/50 matt medium and water mixture.  If you make one or more, be sure and send me a photo.  I would love to see what you come up with.

My final challenge is to figure out how to safely manage the cutting part with younger children.  Maybe I will send them home with instructions and a link to the video and their parents can supervise.

6 comments:

Kay said...

I really like the fun in this

Unknown said...

Wonderful!! I like your design. This is a great idea.

little+tiny+doors said...

these are great paintings! i love the faces. great post!

Desiree's Designs said...

I was so excited to see this post, but I am usually excited to see all your posts. I went down and got some tyvek envelopes too, expensive! It helps me better understand the high cost of mailing! Can wait to try these, fun fun. Thanks for another great post

susan said...

I really enjoy reading your blog...you have such neat and clever ideas...beautiful also. I am anxious to try to make a wallet.

susan said...

I enjoy reading your blog. You have such neat and clever ideas...beautiful also. thank you

Related Posts with Thumbnails