Saturday, January 3, 2009

DISTORTED LINE DRAWING


This is a graphite study I did awhile back. It was not a good likeness, so I did another one but the more I look at this, the more I like the distortion. I may do something with this one, someday.

I spent half the day on the computer, mesmerized by a fantastic site that had tons of self portraits by artists from Giotto to contemporary times. Then I found a website that had the same thing for sketchbooks. I didn't investigate the sketchbook website for fear of losing the rest of my day, but I have it saved for tomorrow's browsing. With all this inspiration to view, there is little time to actually create, if one isn't careful. You can find the self-portrait site by clicking on today's blog title. I will link the other site tomorrow.

I spent the afternoon running around getting plexi and frames so I could put together some things for the Gallery Concord. The exhibit changes on Tuesday. I decided to frame the better sketches from the last drawing marathon. I put together the painting for the CWA annual and reframed "the painting" for the Smithsonian competition. I did a small sketch of my son while we were playing Scrabble tonight, so I got my fifteen minutes in.

Every morning, I start my day by reading about one person in Danny Gregory's new book "An Illustrated Life". This has been such a wonderful way to get inspired and reved up to participate in art for the day. It is filled with different artists and their sketchbooks. Some people are using a magnafying glass so they can view the illustrations and writing on the sketch pages better. That is a great idea. I think I will take a magnafying glass upstairs tonight.

3 comments:

Meera Rao said...

Congratulations on 'cover girl'! And could you kindly post the link to the self portrait site? - now you have piqued my interest :)

Nita Van Zandt said...

What a fabulous, time-sucking site you've infected us with! There goes 2009 :-)

Meera Rao said...

Thank you for taking the time to tell me about it -- Now I know to click on the title on the blog for links :) !

Related Posts with Thumbnails