Wednesday, July 2, 2008

EXAMPLE OF JULY DRAWING CHALLENGE BY A MASTER!


Here is a most exquisite example of what can be done with a paper cut. I don't plan to do anything nearly as complicated as this image. Thank you, Marilyn, for sharing. The following is the e-mail I received along with this beautiful image.

"This is a life size paper cut done by Xiaohong Zhang. She is a professor at University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. She is originally from China.
I wish I could find her web site for a better image of this paper cut, this photo only shows the top part. The rest includes the legs,, with the veins being tree branches. She learned paper cutting from her grandmother. Her art is combining the western art with her Chinese art.

Marilyn Fuerstenberg"

Today I managed to get the NWS painting "Put Your Dukes Up" reframed and completed the paper work. This is the John Wayne image I did on Tyvek when we were working on starting with a grid.
There is a small window of 5 days when someone will be available to receive it, so I will wait until Monday to ship it off. The wooden frame required that I put the wire holders on by screwing into the frame. In the past I have often had to enlist the help of my husband because I didn't have enough strength in my hands to accomplish the job. Today I decided to manage the task myself. When I went looking for the electric screw driver I found 6 different ones (including 3 that looked exactly alike to me....two of these still sealed in their plastic packaging)!!!!!!!!!!! And I thought artists were compulsive about their insatiable desire for supplies. I decided to appropriate one of the three clones for myself. It is nice and compact, not very heavy and has about 24 different tips. I was very happy with my efforts...the wood didn't split and only one of the 4 screws is slightly askew. Next time absolute perfection!

I also spent a little time figuring out how to use my new mini printer connecting it to the computer. Before I just put the photo card in the slot. I printed out a few images, so now I will sit down and start my cut paper style drawing. Hopefully, I will have something to share tomorrow.

7 comments:

Nava said...

I found this movie about Xiaohong Zhang: www.storybridge.tv/episode/046

Nava said...

I found this movie about Xiaohong Zhang: www.storybridge.tv/episode/046

hilda said...

The papercut picture is beautiful. I was trying to see if her body was done using narrow strips of paper or it patterned paper was use,

hilda said...

Me again.

As I was deciding how I would approach this project I was stuck by the fact that what I was coming uo with was a collage, is there a difference between collage and papercut or is it the same thing

Holly Van Hart said...

Myrna,

i love your NWS painting!

and thanks so much for sharing this paper cut artwork. i've never seen anything like it, and probably wouldn't have come across it were it not for you.

Holly

Mike said...

Still in the plastic wrap, eh? D'ya think he'd miss another one? ;-)

Myrna Wacknov said...

After 45 years of marriage I have learned a few things. One is to ask permission rather than assume he wouldn't miss it. He was very gracious and said I could have it. I'll check on the availability of the 3rd one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails