Saturday, April 19, 2008

SERENDIPITY!


In between laundry, preparing my share of the Passover meal (soup, 20 matzah balls and 2 cakes that look like bricks to build a pyramid!!) I found some time to paint. SERENDIPITY! I managed to incorporate all the elements I most love into one painting. Texture...line...color...and a blend of abstract and realism. Unfortunately, this painting is only 10 x 14. I will try to do a full sheet of watercolor in this technique but you never know if the same magic will happen.

I have been rescuing pieces of used watercolor paper by applying gesso over the dreadful paintings and then taking wax paper and placing it on top of the wet gesso and running a brayer over the paper, then lifting it off. I decided to take the messy wax paper and press it down on another useless painting and deposit the gesso that was on the wax paper to it. I did this a number of times until I was satisfied with the balance of gesso blobs to leftover painting showing through. Today I decided to paint on this surface. I drew my "guy" on with a Pitt pen in Sanquine and then used Hydrus liquid watercolor by Dr. Ph. Martin. I must try this technique again as I just loved the results. Fortunately, I have an endless supply of used watercolor paper to play with.

As promised, more wisdom from Bruce ( I don't know him but I feel we are now on a first name basis)

5. Go deep. The deeper you go the more likely you will discover something of value.



6. Capture accidents. The wrong answer is the right answer in search of a different question. Collect wrong answers as part of the process. Ask different questions.

6 comments:

Mariela said...

Excellent one!

About said...

Nice, nice, nice! Serendipity indeed!
I'm lovin' the words of wisdom, too. Really makes me think. I like that. Go deeper...

Anonymous said...

wow, I just love the texture and color on this one, what a way to use all those watercolors I painted in the BTO class

Mariela said...

Yes, tracy is right! Words of wisdom are great!

Anonymous said...

Another WOW! Wonderful portrait and inspiring!

Roshanda said...

I love this painting! The colors are so vibrant. Nicely done.

Related Posts with Thumbnails