Friday, January 25, 2008

THE SADDEST OF NEWS: "IN MEMORIAM" SATIN STURDEVANT 1943 to 2008



The day started with an e-mail from my cousin in Kansas City, informing me that my dear friend of 40 years and fellow artist, Satin Sturdevant, died unexpectedly yesterday. This is my tribute to her memory.

Satin graduated the University of Missouri at Kansas City with an art degree . During this time she became best friends with my sister, Harriet, and through that friendship became a friend of our entire family.

Satin was a very talented artist. I have posted the one photograph I have of her work. This was done in a workshop I led in her Images Art Gallery in 2006. It was Satin who promoted me and made that workshop possible.

You can see more of her work by visiting her website. The following is taken from her website www.satinswatercolor.com.

"After painting in several mediums I concentrated on watercolor for it's challenges and excitement. Watercolor is a magical medium and every painting I do is an adventure. My subject matter is quite varied and I find it exhilarating to explore new territory. I love to travel for research material as well as paint in areas and markets in the Kansas City area.

My paintings represent what I see with what I feel. My main objective is to get a feeling for my subject without overdoing it on the paper. I use top brand archival paints on 100 rag paper.

After receiving a BA in Studio Art from University of Missouri at Kansas City, I taught art for several years and did post graduate work at UMKC and KU. I've participated in local art fairs throughout the city and my watercolors have been accepted in National Art shows.

I'm a member of Images Art Gallery, the Kansas City Artist’s Coalition, Summit Art, and Greater Kansas City Art Association."

Besides being very active in regional art activities, participating in many shows and winning awards, She also helped build the reputation of the Images Art Gallery and managed their web site as well as being the Workshop Chairman for a number of years. Along with all these activities, she was also a wonderful and caring teacher.

Satin will be remembered for her warm smile, positive enthusiastic personality, and her generous and caring spirit.
Good by, dear friend. You will be missed by everyone who knew you.

8 comments:

Nava said...

Myrna, sorry for your loss. Losing a friend is always painful.

Seems like she was a lively vivid person and painter.

Anonymous said...

Myrna,

Sorry to hear your sad news. You
have written a lovely tribute
to a dear friend and artist.

Evolving Expressions said...

I am very sorry for your loss, I hope I am with you to give you a big hug.

RH Carpenter said...

It sounds like she was "one of the good ones," and it's always hard to hear of the passing of someone so vital and so enthusiastic about her art. I'm sorry for your loss, Myrna.

Mary Paquet said...

Myrna,I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Satin was blessed to have such a dear and vibrant friend as you in her life. You have honored her beautifully in this blog. My thoughts are with you.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry this happened. The tribute is lovely.

Anonymous said...

Myrna:
This is my first visit to your website. Imagine my feelings as I saw Satin's sweet smiling face. She touched so many lives. I am thrilled to see her smile travelled so far. I got to know and love Satin as a fellow member of Summit Art and Greater Kansas City Art Association.
Your tribute to her is lovely.
www.TeddyJacksonArtist.com

Kevin H said...

I am deeply saddened by the news of Satin's passing. I was trying to locate her as I worked with her in the wholesale gift business many years ago, when I came upon her web page. She was a very talented artist and an equally wonderful person, and will be missed by many.

Related Posts with Thumbnails