Friday, November 9, 2007

FRIDAY CHALLENGE #7 DRAWING "SHAPES"




Here is the challenge: Take one of your digital images - any subject - and open it in Photoshop Elements (or a similar program) Find the "posterize" setting. In Elements it is under image, then adjustments, then posterize. Set it to 4 or possibly 5. If you want smoother shapes, proceed to Filters, then "noise" then "median" and put in a low number. This simplifies the shapes. Print out the results. What has happened is the program has broken down the image into 4 or 5 values. Each value has become an interesting shape. Now, draw these shapes to get your image. Think of it as a puzzle. Once you start seeing "shapes" instead of "things" you will automatically draw more acurately. I have posted an example of what I am talking about. You can click on any of the images (including the slide show) and it brings up a new screen with a larger version of the image so you can check it out better.

I found this very cool sketch book with recycled paper which is tan at the Barnes and Noble Bookstore in Hillsdale Shopping Center. I used the Elegant Writer pen in brown and then a little in black for accent. It doesn't bleed as nicely on this paper but I like the effect.

When I am in a bookstore, I always check the art department. I noticed they did have a copy of the Kaupelis Experimental Drawing book if anyone is looking for it. I bought the book "Strokes of Genius" which is a fabulous compilation of different drawings by contemporary artists full of inspirational work and great ideas! It is a North Light book similar to the Splash series but this one is about drawing. Can't wait to try some of them. Especially the one where you partiallly wet the paper (outside in the yard) then throw powdered charcoal all over it then throw a bucket of water at it!!!!! How fun is that going to be! That would be such a fun summer party idea for a group of artists friends. I was reading through the book and found a wonderful drawing by Jane Ferguson. It is a big accomplishment to be published in a book!

The slide show tonight has some fabulous work in it. More and more of you are sending me what you are doing. Some of these images don't relate specifically to the challenges but I wanted to share them with you. Check out Mike's initial drawing for the November challenge. He has a more detailed explanation on his blog. Abeer has completed last month's challenge using Matisse, Van Gogh, Picasso (my personal favorite) John Lovett and a few others. Great Job!! Nava and Joyce both are excited about color with rich results. Carrie and Bonnie are first timers on the blog and round out a great Friday show!

3 comments:

Nava said...

This 11-hour layover in Toronto seems to be yielding a lot of wonderful drawings and paintings!!

Anonymous said...

I found "Kaupelis experiment drawing book" on Amazon. com used books division, It said "like new" We'll see.

The price was $7.93 with $3.99 shipping.$11.92 total cost.

Hilda

Anonymous said...

I'm delighted to be on the slide show - very fun! I'd better get busy and try some of the challenges.
Thanks,
Bonnie

Related Posts with Thumbnails