Wednesday, April 27, 2011
One of my goals this year was to experiment with YUPO and find interesting ways to work with it. I had this wonderful backlit photo of my son that I wanted to paint. So yesterday I took a sheet of YUPO and started playing with paint. My objective was to create an interesting dark rectangle on the left and a smaller light rectangle on the right and then I would lift out the image from the dark areas. I was happy playing around putting color down, diluting, spraying stenciling, lifting out, dripping, reapplying color etc. I was struggling getting the area dark enough on the left and I couldn't leave the light area alone. By the time I was through messing around, the paint wasn't going to life unless I scrubbed it out. That would be difficult with the fine lines. I went to bed and faced the problem fresh this morning. I started with a white watercolor stick by American Journey but then switched a water soluble oil pastel called Porfolio (available at Staples office supply) These are creamy crayons that are really cheap! Kathy McChesney gave me a set when we worked together in San Diego. She does amazing work with them. These crayons work very well on the YUPO. I was able to lift off with a damp brush and they blended easier that the watercolor stick.
I'm not sure how well imposing the profile on this background worked but it makes for an interesting image. In retrospect, it has symbolic significance that I didn't plan but is appropriate. I think I am going to continue to work with this image in several more paintings.
Posted by Myrna Wacknov at 2:29 PM