Wednesday, May 12, 2010

INSPIRATIONAL WOMEN PAINTERS - FIRST STEP!

This is the first of six drawings I plan to do in preparation for my next painting.  I need to paint something without any collage material to enter AWS.  All of the work I have been doing this year involves collage, as that was part of what I was exploring.  I have had this idea of combining famous women artists of the past who inspire me for one reason or another with a self portrait.  I think this approach skirts copyright problems.  I am sketching on tracing paper and will transfer the image when I am satisfied.  I will have to reposition the image so as not to cut off the hand at an awkward place, namely the wrist!  I worked on my self portrait from a photo I had downloaded into the ipad.  This was so terrific to work from!!!  I could enlarge and bring it back at a touch and the screen didn't keep going dark like my computer screen does when there is no activity.  I could also play around with cropping.  I sat in a comfy chair in the living room with the drawing pad in my lap and holding the ipad in my left hand.  The mask is an image of Kathe Kollwitz.  Her work is perhaps the most moving of any artist I can think of.  If you are not familiar with her, do a little research.  You will become a fan.

9 comments:

Jala Pfaff said...

This looks very cool.
I agree about K.K.'s work.

Unknown said...

A terrific concept!! So meaningful and important. This will be a prize-winner at AWS for sure. Can't wait to see the finished work.

Meera Rao said...

I checked out Kathe Kollwitz --I can see why she is one of your favorites--such emotion filled drawings! I am excited about following your new project here --all the best!!!

how i met your father blog said...

Kathe Kollwitz -- what an amazing woman, thanks for introducing me!

Victoria on Okinawa said...

Love the sketch, looks like a great composition already! I love idea of the mask image of Kathe Kollwitz too.

Dee Doyle said...

Love that you are doing this series! Kathe Kollwitz is on my list of about twenty who have so influenced the drawing and painting of figures and faces. Am so intrigued with where they fit in social history as much as art.

Kay said...

I recognized Kathe K. immediately..nice drawing, can't wait to see finished painting.

bridget Hunter said...

I really enjoy your blog. Thankyou. have you seen anything by Joan Eardley - a Scottish artist who died in her 40's ? She is worth a look - and one of my greatest inspirations.

RH Carpenter said...

What a fantastic idea, Myrna! I see great things coming from this series. Kollwitz's work is so very moving. I'll be watching this progress...can't wait to see it in paint and see who else comes into the scene.

Related Posts with Thumbnails