Sunday, February 10, 2008

ANOTHER LOSS TO THE ART COMMUNITY: IN MEMORIAM KAREN MASON



I received the sad news yesterday that Karen Mason had passed away. Karen was in charge of the Gallery Concord when I first joined. It was her suggestion that I teach a workshop at the gallery that started me on this wonderful path. I didn't take her up on it right away but when some others were looking for a portrait class, I decided to see if I could transfer what I knew to someone else. It all started with Karen.

I never had the privilege of taking any classes from her. Those that did praised her teaching ability. She was an awesome artist but doing and teaching aren't always the same. She had a special fondness for painting old cars and people.

I will miss her friendly smile and positive encouragement. I have taken the liberty of including the message I received from the President of California Watercolor Association, Samantha McNally. I also went to Karen's website for her photo and painting image.

"CWA has lost a dedicated member. Karen Mason passed away on February 8, 2008.

Karen was a Signature Member and Outstanding Member of CWA and because of her passion for art she gave of herself in all activities of CWA, even through her illness. She has held almost every position within CWA including President from 1996 - 1997, Newsletter Director, Outreach Director, Hospitality Chair, and Advisory Committee and was part of the original Building Committee. Over the years, she has also chaired many CWA shows.

In partnership with Jerry Little, Karen brought national recognition to the East Bay Watercolor Society, now known as the California Watercolor Association. She and Jerry Little also set up the first CWA show in the California State Capitol.

Her dedication to the arts was further exemplified in her giving of her time and talents to open Gallery Concord. Karen was instrumental in the creation of Gallery Concord (which is located at 1765 Galindo, Concord, CA), including meeting with Visual Arts Benefactors of Concord to secure funding.

In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the California Watercolor Association.

Karen Mason Memorial Fund
California Watercolor Association
P.O. Box 4631
Walnut Creek, CA 94596"

4 comments:

Nava said...

It's always sad to hear of the passing away of a such a person. It's a beautiful tribute you've done here.

Evolving Expressions said...

I am really sorry for your loss, this must be hard, loosing two people that are close to you in a short period of time. Lovely tribute.

Pablo VillicaƱa Lara said...

Yes, it's a huge loss to our community! I loved that Karen was so kind AND full of fire!
She was one of the persons responsible for my getting my artwork out into the public again.

Mary Paquet said...

My sympathies, Myrna. What a lovely rememberance of Karen.

I also love Pablo's description of Karen.

Related Posts with Thumbnails