Friday, May 9, 2014

BOOK DEDICATION!



1ST PORTRAIT - A SELFIE1

While on Orcas Island off the coast of northwest Washington State,  I looked for another of the handmade watercolor sketch books that I have fallen in love with.  They are made by a resident of the San Juan Islands (Orcas is part of this chain of islands)  My kids insisted on buying it for me for Mother's Day.  I must have done something right to raise such great boys.  

I have decided to dedicate this book to just portraits.  This is the first painting in my new book.  A self portrait seemed most appropriate to start things out with.  I took a chance and drew directly with acrylic ink with a stick.   I like the square format.  I am using the gorgeous new QoR watercolors from Golden.  They sent me some samples to try out and I have been extremely impressed.  They are highly saturated and luxurious feeling.  They take a little longer to dry in the palette but rewet very easily.  

You can see the beautiful end paper to the left of the painting.  Here are two other views of this book.  I love the beautiful red leather exterior and the gold and patterned oriental paper inserts in the front and back of the book.  The spine has wonderful stitching and a hand made button for the closure.  It feels so decadent and luxurious.  The only fear is messing up one of the pages.  


If you would like to inquire about these beautiful books, they are made by Susie Shipman


4 comments:

Desiree's Designs said...

I have been a follower and a fan for so long and one thing I do know is that you WON'T mess up a page!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Thanks, Desiree,
Ah, I wish that were true. I do have good luck with portraits, though, so I think this book may be fairly safe.

RH Carpenter said...

Oh, you lucky Mom :) You won't mess up a page but I would be too timid to put anything in one of these beautiful journals/sketchbooks!! Guess I'll stick to the less elegant versions for a while. Can't wait to see what you put in this one. Wouldn't it be great to have a gallery show of just your portrait book? Perhaps add some words here and there...I have such good ideas for someone else to do! ha ha Have a wonderful Mother's Day :)

Joyfulartist said...

Gorgeous book.

Related Posts with Thumbnails