Friday, May 13, 2011
I was looking at my collection of Splash Books in anticipation of a new one coming out. Splash 2 had breakthroughs, and I came across the idea of working on a very smooth surface of sanded gesso. I realized I always textured the hell out of the gesso and never made it super smooth. I decided I wanted to try working on that surface, for a change. My first effort resulted in an overworked image. It was fun to lift out and repaint over and over but eventually it just looked tired and overworked. I decided to start again and I was determined to keep the reworking to a minimum. I am happy with this result. I used a large squirrel brush with my favorite, Dr. Ph Martin's Hydrus liquid watercolor. I always wanted to be able to paint steam or smoke like Mary Whyte. This surface worked very well . I don't know how Mary does it, but this comes pretty close, visually.
Now for the "Lose Some". So far I have made a mess of my correction on the previous posted painting.....but I haven't given up. I still hope to pull it out of the fire. I will post my ultimate solution, good or bad, when I am satisfied or just give up! Stay tuned!
Posted by Myrna Wacknov at 6:21 PM