Friday, May 13, 2011

WIN SOME AND LOSE SOME!

I was looking at my collection of Splash Books in anticipation of a new one coming out.  Splash 2 had breakthroughs, and I came across the idea of working on a very smooth surface of sanded gesso.  I realized I always textured the hell out of the gesso and never made it super smooth.  I decided I wanted to try working on that surface, for a change.  My first effort resulted in an overworked image.  It was fun to lift out and repaint over and over but eventually it just looked tired and overworked.  I decided to start again and I was determined to keep the reworking to a minimum.  I am happy with this result.  I used a large squirrel brush with my favorite, Dr. Ph Martin's Hydrus liquid watercolor.  I always wanted to be able to paint steam or smoke like Mary Whyte.  This surface worked very well .  I don't know how Mary does it, but this comes pretty close, visually.

Now for the "Lose Some".  So far I have made a mess of my correction on the previous posted painting.....but I haven't given up.  I still hope to pull it out of the fire.  I will post my ultimate solution, good or bad, when I am satisfied or just give up!  Stay tuned!

23 comments:

Sandrine said...

Great painting ! Amazing colors and textures.
Perhaps to be able to make such wonderful works of art you need to loose a few ones on the way :-)

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Sandrine,
Thanks for the comment. Boy, you are fast!!! I just posted this painting a few minutes ago.

Diana Marshall said...

This is stunning, glad that you persevered. The painting has a wonderful feeling to it.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Thank you, Diana, for the nice words.

Autumn Leaves said...

Absolutely awesome painting, Myrna.

Sadami said...

Dear Myrna,
Always your challenging spirit brings amazing works. I love smoke in this painting. Thank you.
Kind regards, Sadami

Sherry Pierce Thurner said...

Brava! I like the saturated color and the effect of cigarette smoke very much.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Autumn, I see you are working on a gessoed surface, also. Glad you like this one.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Sadami, a lovely comment from a fellow portrait enthusiast. I love your fresh watercolor sketches.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Sherry, Thanks for stopping by. I look forward to see what you do at that Plein Air event next month.

Jo Murray said...

This is a lovely painting. As for the lost one... where did I hear "there are no bad paintings... only unfinished ones" ?

lifeartist said...

Yep, this is a winner. That gessoed surface is perfect for the smoke effect. As for the possible loser: it's a learning experience.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Jo, Thank you for the comment from one art book lover to another!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Davida, Thanks for checking in. I follow your progress regularly.

JANE MINTER said...

Myrna this portrait really caught my eye in the thumbnail.... i'm not familiar with the techniques you've used . ...re your mist comment discovered "Working South Today" by Mary Whyte so thankyou ...,glad to have found your new blog limb to limb too ..stop here ..so inspiring
jane

Unknown said...

You managed to capture a lot of emotion in this one. Great job!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Tim, how nice that you are following this blog. Good luck with your film. The setting reminds me of a 1988 film "Bagdad Cafe" which I loved. Check it out if you are not familiar with it. Older than you!!!

Carol Nelson said...

The creativity never stops. Myrna, you are an inspiration to us all.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Thanks, Carol. A special compliment from a very creative artist!

Unknown said...

This is stunning! I love it ! Precise and loose, what feelings, what atmosphere !

Annaquarel.les said...

Gorgeous painting, Myrna. It immediately drew my attention like a magnet. The effect of cigarette smoke is excellent.
You often talk about gessoed surface, so I wanted to ask you what kind of surface you use. Could it work on Arches watercolour paper 140 lb?
Is it a special gesso you use?

By the way, I am subscribed to 'L'Aquarelle' and was glad to find an article on your artwork. Congratulations!

Love 'Bagdad Café's' soundtrack ;-)

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Annaquarel, Any watercolor paper can be gessoed. In fact, it is a god thing to do to cheap WC paper. I use thick gesso form texture and sandable gessomforma smooth surface. Bagdad Cafe sound track is very haunting and a favorite of mine, too.

Annaquarel.les said...

Thank you, Myrna.

Related Posts with Thumbnails