Friday, May 20, 2011
I have been ruminating on these images for years. I couldn't quite figure out how I wanted to combine the multiple images of this restless young man. I have been drawing him over and over and was never satisfied with the results. I think I am finally ready to have a go at it. I decided I needed to get at least one painting done and then I could do another, if needed. Drawing on tracing paper allowed me to keep the size of each image relatively close and I could move each figure around, reverse some, until I had a satisfactory arrangement. I am working on a smooth gesso surface, which is very liftable. The top piece is my practice one. I applied the acrylic ink with a fine brush, oiler boiler needle bottle, and a dip pen with a fine nib. Boy, am I glad I experimented on the practice piece. I discovered that I like the detail and control of the dip pen. I also played around with lifting color with a sponge and a stencil. Interesting results. Color bleeds easily on this surface, so I have to be careful if I don't want that to happen. I also realized I needed to ink from left to right because I am right handed and accidentally smeared some of the ink on the practice piece. I wanted to have the feeling of a warm, very bright day, so I changed the shirt color from blue to red. Time will tell if that was a good move on my part. I should be able to finish this painting over the weekend.
Posted by Myrna Wacknov at 10:45 PM