Tuesday, April 9, 2013
I found a few sheets of heavy weight YUPO in my studio and decided to try an idea on one of the sheets. This handsome gentleman was a guest at a recent art event I went to. He even knew I was taking his photo and didn't mind. He is one of the few people I know that doesn't look self-conscious or pose when a camera is aimed his way.
I wanted to see what would happen if I stamped an acrylic pattern on the paper first and then drew and painted on top. I forgot to photograph the stages...a sign I was really into the painting and not thinking about anything else. I kept the paper upright, which is a risky thing to do with YUPO, and surprisingly, I was able to control the drips pretty well. I used diluted liquid acrylic and some acrylic ink. Watercolor would have been impossible at the angle I wanted to work at. Part of the reason I wanted to work upright is to get an accurate drawing without distortion, I had fun drawing with these rubber shaping tools. I thought they were intriguing but this is the first time I have found a good use for them. I'm not sure what they are designed for but probably clay or heavy acrylic or heavy oil.
Now that I have a good realistic portrait, I think it will be fun to try some stylized versions. If you click on the image it should bring up a different screen where you can see the details.
Posted by Myrna Wacknov at 4:53 PM