Saturday, November 19, 2011

TRIBUTE TO AMBER

My youngest son always loved animals.  So when his beloved dog, Amber, died unexpectedly last week, he was devastated. Amber was a very sweet, even tempered dog.  My daughter in law often took her to hospitals and senior centers to cheer up those who were in need of some love and attention.   I decided to paint a tribute to Amber to give to my son and his wife.  I have taken a number of photos of her over the years but the only painting I ever did was of the 3 of them and Amber looked so bad I had to scrub her out and start over.  I am not very familiar with animal physiology as I am the human figure, so it makes things a little more difficult.  Photographing a painting and putting it on the computer to study is very helpful.  Although the tail looks like this in the photo, it doesn't look right to me in the painting.  I poured over photos of  Labs and Lab and Beagle mix dogs trying to find a similar pose with the tail in a different position.  It seems like laying down with her legs crossed in front is a gesture unique to Amber!  I didn't find one photo with that pose.   Right now I am thinking I will crop the image at the top and perhaps move the tail to the left side by the hind leg.  I also need to align the hind leg with the back quarters a little better.  A few more hours and the painting should be done.  Then I think I will do one of just her head.   

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your son's loss, Myrna. I know he must be hurting. The painting is coming along beautifully. My Bloodhound also lays with the front paws crossed like this.

Karen Knutson said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your son's dog. They add so much joy to our lives, asking nothing in return. Our son has a dog, that they rescued from the shelter and he crosses his legs just like yours. I find it very enduring. Great painting, Myrna.

Carreen Press Heegaard said...

What a nice gift idea- seems like a beautiful pose- why not just take out the tail altogether as though it is tucked behind out of view?

Anonymous said...

Hi Myrna, What a thoughtful tribute to Amber. I like the pose; she seems most relaxed. Her head seems particularly expressive. I like the overall texture and feel of the painting; wonderful!

wandamarie said...

Great portrait of Amber. I am sorry to hear of her loss.

Related Posts with Thumbnails