Monday, November 1, 2010

PROCESSES!

Rhonda asked how I created several of my latest paintings.  The answer was too long for the comment section so I thought I would answer her questions here.

This last painting started out as a failed image.  I don't throw paper out, I recycle it into an acceptable painting.  With this one, I covered it with hand painted tissue paper collage.  Creative Catalyst Productions has a wonderful DVD instructional by Carrie Burns Brown on how to make these papers.  I then drew with a permanent Sharpie pen my images on white tissue paper that was cut into squares.  Using diluted matte medium (half water, half medium) I collaged the squares down, leaving a border around each square.  When that dried,  I painted the tissue using acrylic inks.  I also used some gold metallic acrylic around each head.

The Bleeding Heart painting started with a simple grid of squares and had a pale wash of various colors painted on the paper .  I then collaged tissue squares which had been stamped with different size heart patterns using white gesso instead of ink or paint.  I made most of my own stamps.  After the tissue collage dried, I painted on top with watercolor sticks from Daniel Smith.

I hope this information triggers some new ideas for you to explore.

4 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks so much, Myrna, for this lesson on how you've begun and created some of your latest paintings! I will have to give this a try. I love the textured look you get - not sure I trust myself drawing with ink but if do the drawings on painted tissue, I can choose whether it's good enought o "glue" to the paper after it's done. You are so generous with your knowledge! I may have to check out that DVD, too.

devotedmomof7 said...

Thank you for sharing this!! Sounds fun!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Rhonda, the tissue is white when I do the drawing. No pressure to get it right!

Diana said...

A great way to reuse and recycle!

I was wondering in "Bleeding Heart", did you use the clean side of the paper for the squares to stamp the hearts on? Then in "Undecided", it looks like you put the tissue right over an old painting. Is that right?

Related Posts with Thumbnails