Saturday, September 11, 2010

A WORK IN PROGRESS

In case you think I have been goofing off, here is the painting I have been working on.  It is probably 2/3rds finished.  It is slower going than I thought because the paint is beading up significantly and it is taking a long time for some of the paint to dry.  I have to wait until it is dry so I can stand it up and evaluate how things are coming along.  I was originally planning to put some patterns on the back side.  Now, I am not so convinced.  I do like the corrections I have made in the drawing (fixed the right eye and enlarged the hands) plus showing more of the clothing and gesture.  When I am through with this side, I can put things underneath to see how it will look before actually adding anything.  It is hard to see how transparent this paper is but the blue line drawing is actually on the back side of the paper.  I am using my iPad in the studio propped up next to the painting with my reference photo which I can then enlarge at will to really see the hands, evaluate the different shapes in relationship to each other, etc.  I am careful to keep it dry and paint free!  I am only using three colors here and I am pleased with the range f hues and values.  

I hope to enter this painting in the next AWS National show.  If it doesn't make the grade, I still have time to create another.  It is very unusual for me to paint toward a show.  I usually just paint away and set the better ones aside for competitons.  This year everything I have done has collage on it which is not accepted by American Watercolor Society.  I managed to get in one time.  Lightening could strike again!

8 comments:

Cynthia Schelzig said...

You made me laugh about the comment "goofing off"....really, I just cannot imagine you goofing off:) and you proved it....looks very interesting....good luck with it.

Unknown said...

OK, Maybe this is your strike of lightning....
Since you are using semi transparent paper, Maybe on another different piece of paper -create a super rich pattern and let it show through from behind this painting. I don't know if AWS has any rules against such an idea but we used to do this occasionally in the frame shop.

The fearless threader said...

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't get in again. Your work is fantastic.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Cynnie, I goof off more than I work. I call it gestation.

Hi Carrie. That is a very interesting idea you have presented. I'm not sure whether that fits in with the prospectus. I suspect AWS is very skittish about rules after the fiasco a few years ago. I will try putting something behind the painting but not for this entry just to be on the safe side.

Thank you, Fearless Threader, for the lovely compliment.

Donna McCarty-Estep said...

I've been checking out what you do and I am amazed at every image that you post. I understand on the "goofing off" Though sometimes your creativity needs to have time to procrastinate to refuel... or that's what I keep telling myself!hehe

Michelle Himes said...

Myrna, do you know for sure that AWS will consider Yupo to be "paper"?

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Craftastic, I enjoyed checking out your blog! I am very creative at goofing off!

Hi Michelle, so nice to hear from you again. Yes, the prospectus just says "paper". Societies that don't accept YUPO state that. George James has devoted about 20 years to just working on YUPO and has been in lots of their shows, so I feel confident that I am okay with this surface.

Michelle Himes said...

Okay, great! I just wanted to be sure that when I go to the AWS show I will see your painting there.

Related Posts with Thumbnails