Sunday, September 12, 2010

NOW TO COME UP WITH A TITLE!

 
I am excited about how this experiment turned out!  I learned a lot and had the most fun painting on both sides of the paper.  There are a few things I wished I could correct but it isn't possible.  Overall, I like the image a lot.  This was painted with acrylic inks in a very watercolor like manner.  I was able to do some lifting and changing by brushing rubbing alcohol over the dried ink.  Interesting, I could not lift thinly applied color.  I was able to lift areas of concentrated color.  It was a little tricky painting back in and getting it to blend in.   The background behind the head turned out as I had hoped.  I used clear contact paper as a mask to keep the stamping from overlapping where I didn't want it.  This paper made positioning (and repositioning) the sticky paper very easy and it lifted off when I was done with no problem.  

Coming up with a title for the painting is a fun family game.  So far we have "Contemplating getting accepted into AWS" and "How about this one?" Feel free to jump in with any suggestions.

Painting on this surface was rather slow (for me).  I was constantly having to wait for areas to dry so I could check out how it looked or turn the paper over to work on the other side.  While I was waiting, I started reading a great book, "The Element" by Ken Robinson.The Element (1st).  I am always interested in ideas about creativity.  I had seen Sir Ken on U Tube delivering a speach for the TED convention.  He is charming, witty, and entertaining besides being brilliant.   This book talks about all the different kinds of creativity, matching your talents with your passion and how we need a revolution in education so that everyone can find their uniqueness and harness this talent pool for the benefit of our country and outselves.  Now I want every member of my family to read it.  

26 comments:

Diana Marshall said...

Title suggestion:- Really, are you sure?!

Unknown said...

I'm no good at thinking of names but I think the painting is fantastic!

Meera Rao said...

Love it!!! I am a big TED fan -thanks for Ken Robinson and book -I will look it up :)

Kay said...

I really enjoy this one! Wish I could see it in person. There is wonderful depth and of course I love your colour range... good luck!

carolpete said...

Love the painting!!!! Where do you get the transparent tyvek?

title: contemplating

Kathy McChesney said...

Oh Myrna - Wow! I love the depth of field in this painting - it feels alive. Yum yum yum. Kathy

Cory said...

I love this painting...here are a few suggestions from my title journal.

1. The quiet voice.
2. Searching for the right word.
3. The language of dreams.
4. Rediscovered memories.
5. Front porch conversations.
6. Odyssey of the mind.
7. Memory mosaic.

Unknown said...

I love your painting, Mryna, and
profited from hearing about the process. A title? Like, just after you receive your AWS acceptance: "Can
Hardly Believe I Did It".

Linda said...

myrna, you could give it ANY title and it's still going to be accepted. it's FANTASTIC!!!

Magdalena said...

Myrna, it is fabulous. The Title popped into my head:

To The Letter - U .

Lena

Dee Doyle said...

Myrna, Terrific piece as always. I love how generous you are about sharing your process.

How about "Eye on the Prize"? I guess I am reacting to the "detail" shot you used to show the close up of the background.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Thanks to all for the suggestions and the nice compliments. I love the idea of a title journal. I shall start one now! I am still contemplating titles.

Ruth Jaeger said...

The Information Explosion

Donna McCarty-Estep said...

How about "Waiting" or "The element of waiting"?

Diana said...

Love it Myrna,, I"d call it "Honey, I told you." it's great!! Diana Davis

Joan said...

Wonderful painting!! How about "Pondering"or "Pondering the Future" as a title?

hw (hallie) farber said...

"Listening to Sir Ken." In the portrait, something seems to have your full attention. Beautiful.

Unknown said...

I like the way you explain what works and doesn't work in your painting experiments. Fascinating. I haven't yet read "The Element," but will look for it.

RH Carpenter said...

Fascinating, Myrna. My eye moves around and comes back to her hands and her eyes. Title? Hmmm...So Many Words? The Alphabet of Memory? It has a sadness about it...I'm sure you'll come up with something great. Good luck on your AWS entry!!!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Lost in Thought
Head in the Clouds
Where Are My Glasses?
Acceptance Speech
Letter to My Past

Titling can give you brain cramp! I love the piece. I like hearing about your process, and as always, how you are doing new things with familiar materials.

Joyfulartist said...

As always, I'm bowled over by your painting. I have a whole bunch of transparent yupo and never thought of painting on both sides! Your creativity sings! Good luck (not that you need it).

Liana Yarckin said...

your work is so inspiring. how do you come up with these great angles for your self portraits? do you take a photo?

Myrna Wacknov said...

Thanks for the continuing ideas for titles. I am still congitating! All my self portraits are from photo references, many taken with my laptop MacBook that has a built in camera. When I get sick of the images I have, I take a few more trying to come up with different angles and distortions.

Dan Kent said...

This came out beautifully! How about "Feeling my pulse" (just kidding).

Or maybe, "Whereupon I Ponder."

Delilah said...

Wonderful work

Caroline Peña Bray said...

Myrna, this s amazing! It's a really skilled work that appears to have been executed with such ease (even in spite of your difficulties in not being able to lift thin washes and the trickiness of getting the inks to blend again). I really like this, it's top notch. Thanks for the tip as well, TED rocks and I'll def be looking up the book.

Related Posts with Thumbnails