Thursday, December 17, 2009

MY FIRST ATC'S





Today was the annual Holiday Party for our Critique Group. It is the highlight of the season for me. This is a group of very, very talented artists who have become wonderful friends. The annual party is very festive with great food, an extremely generous hostess who offers her magnificent home each year and lots of great art. This past year we had occasion to make a book of Artist Trading Cards from each of us put into a small book as a "Get Well" gift and a "Happy 80th Birthday" gift. The rest of us were jealous and trying to figure out how we could snag one of these "books" when we came up with the idea to create one for each of us as the painting holiday gift exchange. We each needed to make 18 little 2.5 x 3.5 A.T.C. paintings for the exchange. WHAT FUN! We had a great time looking at each artist's efforts. Then, we dropped one in each of the 18 bags (made to look like a Christmas Boot) After lunch, we each put our little books together and then everyone signed their card in each other's books. It reminded me of several fun times in school (Valentine's day, yearbook signing day, art projects).

Today I am posting my set of cards I made for this gift exchange. I collaged over an old painting and cut it up into the right size cards. A half sheet of watercolor paper will yield 18 cards. I drew this figures with a permanent fine point pen then colored them in with oil based colored pencils. The finishing touches were put on with a gold pen. (The gold photographs white!)

Tomorrow I will post the sets of paintings by the others. Jane Ferguson made a little video showing how to make the book. I am sharing that video with all of you so you, too, can have the fun of making one of these little treasures.


4 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Myrna, you have taken ATCs to another level!! These are fantastic and I would love to have one - love the girls, the shoes, the outfits! ha ha

Cynthia said...

What kooool ATC´s you made....really modern and extremely KOOOOL.....

Joan said...

Myrna - Your ATCs are wonderful. I could just imagine all of them in one book...that would be so fun! But I do like the idea of the little books. Thanks for the links. I do a lot of ATC exchanges with WetCanvas and this would be a nice way to keep each set of ATCs.

hw (hallie) farber said...

Wow! These are wonderful.

Related Posts with Thumbnails