Tuesday, March 19, 2019

REINSPIRED!!


CUP SERIES #1

CUP SERIES #2

CUP SERIES #3

Add caption

I am starting to hold semi-private lessons in my studio on the variations theme.   I have the luxury of stretching the lessons out and presenting one or two ideas each week instead of overloading so much information into each day which a short workshop necessitates.   We are discussing shape.   While researching images to illustrate my concept, I came across a series of paintings that inspired me.   The idea is to take an object and reduce it down to a simple shape and then create an interesting series using the elements and principles of design.  I decided on a bowl on a table top.  I also decided to explore the idea of incorporating personal symbols and use a square format.   My first symbol is a triangle, a straight line, and an O.  I have a beautiful hand made book of watercolor paper in a square format.   I decided to fill it entirely with this project.  I can decide later if I want to keep it in the book or present them separately.   I normally work large but I am enjoying this small format.  The scale allows me to use materials in a way that looks different.  I can also work more quickly.

4 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

You are always stretching and exploring!! I really like this idea and will enjoy seeing where you take it - similar to what Mike Bailey does with working with the same set-up over and over? Love the bowl with the circles and I think that’s my favorite painting so far. Keep ‘em coming!! Would love to take lessons from you, but, alas, too far away....

Myrna Wacknov said...

Thanks Rhonda. Yes, it is based on Mike Bailey's idea of the same setup but I have the luxury of not being limited to 10 sessions (actually 8 if you don't count the first which was mostly an introduction to the concept and last which was show and tell). I am able to present the information more like a Gerald Brommer workshop where he gives you information and examples for one or two ideas. It is amazing how many variations can be discovered by narrowing down your choices. I think that's what I love about the mystery food box challenges on the Food Network programs. One gets more creative with less to work with. It is a paradox of creative thinking. Try my challenge yourself and see what you come up with.

Daanish said...

Very nice, amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Sonia said...

Waiting for the next instalment, Myrna. I, too, like this idea and might start something along similar lines.

Related Posts with Thumbnails