Yesterday I decided I wanted to do some string drawings. If you missed my post on this fun way to draw, you take a long mop string, dip one end into a bottle of ink and then try to draw with this dangling, limp noodle. Very interesting drawings result. I have a large supply of blank newsprint paper that I usually use for this exercise. Here is the drawing I created.
|MOP STRING DRAWING EVOLUTION 2|
I must have attempted 5 or 6 images. This is the only one I liked. Next I decided to see how newsprint would take to mono printing with my large Gelli Plate. When you add acrylic to even the cheapest paper, it adds stability and functionality. I thought I could practice mono printing ideas on the paper I just drew on. Here is the drawing after I covered it with multiple mono printing passes.
|GELLI PLATE MONO PRINT EVOLUTION 2|
The original drawing was pretty much obscured by the printing, so I wanted to see if I could paint a decent painting on this low grade paper. I spread acrylic gel over an old unsuccessful painting that had collage on it and bonded the mono print on top.
|STAGE ONE EVOLUTION 2 PORTRAIT|
When I got it this far I was unhappy with the right eye and I needed to make further adjustments to the shape of his face. Here is the final result with a few details. Surprisingly, I can use this paper to do finished paintings on. Wahoo!