Friday, September 27, 2013

METAMORPHOSIS!



IDLE HANDS - FINISHED
 I am working on a new workshop which will be all texture in portraiture.  I am developing examples to accompany the lessons.  This is the finished result of my first exercise.  Of course it is nothing like what I had originally intended, so it will probably work for a different example or I may change my idea of how the course will start out.  Interesting how that brilliant idea you have in your head doesn't want to cooperate when you try to execute it.  

The painting started out as a string drawing on fresh watercolor paper.  I used permanent ink as I didn't want the lines to run.

IDLE HANDS STEP 1

I scraped gel medium onto the paper making sure to leave some of the original paper exposed.  I then stamped various textures into the gel.  I knew the gel would dry clear , leaving my original drawing visible.  I was happy enough with the drawing.  I practiced two or three times to make sure I would have something I wanted to work with.

When the gel dried, I painted the image with the new Golden High Flow liquid acrylics.  They are very transparent and look like glazes.  

IDLE HANDS STEP 2

Now the problems started.  I liked some of the textures, especially the lace in the face and hands but way too much texture and the color was to high key.  I was trying to avoid gluing any collage papers down but that was what I decided to do.  Unfortunately, I forgot to photograph the stage with the collage on top.  I used a commercial patterned tissue for the garment and solid colored tissue for the other areas.  It was commercially dyed which meant not light safe, but I figured I would be covering over it enough that it would be okay.  I like tissue because of it's transparent qualities.  After that dried, I glazed over the tissue to unify the piece and then scraped white full bodied white acrylic to re-establish my light pattern.  I was trying to use credit cards and coffee stirrers  along with a plastic palette knife to apply the paint because I like broken color and irregular marks rather than smooth blended passages.

IDLE HANDS STEP 5



                                      

13 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

I always enjoy reading of your methods and experiments, Myrna. And of course, seeing the working results too. I think it is fabulous!

Lisa Graham said...

What a great piece. Thank you for sharing your process. The different textures you made with the gel are wonderful. What is also so amazing is that this piece could be "finished" at every single stage you showed, including the string drawing.

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

Fabulous! I know why I like it. It combines your amazing drawing skills with an interesting active surface.

Judy said...

I always enjoy reading your blog, this mornings was wonderful, full of beautiful images and good information. Thanks for sharing.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Thank you Sherry. You have been such a wonderful supporter.

Rita Sklar said...

I love seeing your process, Myrna. Even when it's not exactly what you intended. Thank you for sharing your work.
Rita

Myrna Wacknov said...

Interesting observation Lisa. I guess we all keep working until it feels resolved.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Thank you Julie. That is exactly the combination I am striving for! Line and texture are the elements that I personally respond most to.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Thanks for the comment, Judy. I hope you try some of these ideas.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Thanks for the lovely comment, Rita.

Cory said...

Beautiful as usual...I love this process.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Thank you, Cory. I find your work intriguing as well.

Mari Brown and Colourblob said...

I really enjoy seeing how you do it all step by step and how the background takes on a whole new life when you start to add paint to it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails